AP gateway Address

Old October 1st 03, 09:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking
Geoff Lane

Default AP gateway Address

My Netgear Wireless AP has a default gateway setting of 0.0.0.0

Everything appears to be working OK but I am curious as to what the
setting should be.

Steve Winograd, in a reply to a post by me in relation to NIC gateway
settings suggested it may have referred to a 'Route Table' as 0.0.0.0
is not a valid IP address.

At the moment I am using manual settings (Not DHCP), my computers are
192.168.0.1 to 5 and the AP is 192.168.0.227

Geoff Lane

Old October 1st 03, 12:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x]

The default gateway should ordinarily be your router's IP address, or if
you're using ICS it will normally be 192.168.0.1 (or the IP address of the
ICS host, if you've changed the default settings in ICS). If you have no
router or ICS host on your network the default setting will probably do no
harm.

--
Richard G. Harper (MVP Win9x)
* PLEASE post all messages and replies to the newsgroup so all may

Old October 4th 03, 10:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking
Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article , Geoff Lane
wrote:
My Netgear Wireless AP has a default gateway setting of 0.0.0.0

Everything appears to be working OK but I am curious as to what the
setting should be.

Steve Winograd, in a reply to a post by me in relation to NIC gateway
settings suggested it may have referred to a 'Route Table' as 0.0.0.0
is not a valid IP address.

At the moment I am using manual settings (Not DHCP), my computers are
192.168.0.1 to 5 and the AP is 192.168.0.227

Geoff Lane

The default gateway is the IP address through which a networked device
connects to non-local IP addresses, such as Internet severs.

An access point only talks to computers and routers on the LAN. It
doesn't connect directly to the Internet, so it doesn't need a default
gateway address.

Computers that connect to the Internet through an access point need a
default gateway address, and, as Richard G. Harper said, that's
normally the IP address of the router.

I'm not sure what reply of mine you're referring to, Geoff. A route
table entry with a destination (1st IP address) of 0.0.0.0 is a
default route, and the gateway (3rd IP address) in that route is the
default gateway. A route with a gateway (3rd IP address) of 0.0.0.0
is invalid.
--
Best Wishes,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
Old October 5th 03, 08:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:11:10 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
wrote:

My Netgear Wireless AP has a default gateway setting of 0.0.0.0

Steve Winograd, in a reply to a post by me in relation to NIC gateway
settings suggested it may have referred to a 'Route Table' as 0.0.0.0
is not a valid IP address.

I'm not sure what reply of mine you're referring to, Geoff.

The one shown below.

From: "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
Subject: Gateway Address
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 03:41:12 -0600
Geoff Lane

From: "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 03:41:12 -0600
Geoff Lane

Here's what I said in that message. Do you have a question about it?
The first two entries are always 0.0.0.0 in a default route. The 3rd
and 4th entries, which I called a.b.c.d and w.x.y.z, can't be 0.0.0.0:

0.0.0.0 isn't a valid IP address, and it can't be the address of a
default gateway. Are you thinking of a route table entry that
looks like this?

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d w.x.y.z

That's a default route, as indicated by values of 0.0.0.0 for the
destination IP address and the subnet mask. The default gateway's
IP address is "a.b.c.d", and TCP/IP uses the LAN interface with
address "w.x.y.z" to communicate with the default gateway.

Old October 7th 03, 08:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:42:36 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
wrote:

My Netgear Wireless AP has a default gateway setting of 0.0.0.0

Steve Winograd, in a reply to a post by me in relation to NIC gateway
settings suggested it may have referred to a 'Route Table' as 0.0.0.0
is not a valid IP address.

Here's what I said in that message. Do you have a question about it?

No, not at all, not at the moment anyway :-))))

My original post, which you answered, asked about the setting of
0.0.0.0 which my Wireless AP has by default.

The reference to your answer was asking what the default gateway
should be - this has been answered OK.

Geoff Lane