Router ADSL IP addresses

Old October 2nd 03, 09:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Router ADSL IP addresses

I'm soon to change from a dial up to an ADSL connection, I intend to
get some type of router, this may be part of the modem or seperate.

If I get seperate items are each assigned a different IP address on my
network.

My Access Point defaults to 192.168.0.227 and I'm not sure of the
significance of that particular address.

Geoff Lane

Old October 2nd 03, 10:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Geoff Lane wrote:
I'm soon to change from a dial up to an ADSL connection, I intend to
get some type of router, this may be part of the modem or seperate.

If I get seperate items are each assigned a different IP address on my
network.

My Access Point defaults to 192.168.0.227 and I'm not sure of the
significance of that particular address.

Geoff Lane

Buying a router without a built in modem is a bit of a blind alley, I
suspecteven the cheapest router-modems have all the features you will need.

You if you buy a 4 or 5 port router complete with switched hub it can
either replace a hub/switch or plug into an existing one. The ip address
of the router is normally any non-allocated address you choose in your
ip address range. For example on mine it is 192.168.1.101, the 4 client
machines are allocated ip addresses automatically by the routers DHCP
feature from a range 192.168.1.102 to 192.168.1.105. The address of the
router and the range of the client address pool can be changed via a
password protected menu accessed via a web browser from any of the
client PCs.

The 192.168.-.- range of ip address are class C addresses which are not
routeable to the internet, the router re-routes internet traffic to and
from each PC hiding the ip address of each pc.

If another DHCP server exists on the network (such as a Linux or Windows
NT/XP server) or a smaart Switched Hub or it is desired to use fixed
IP addressing the DHCP feature of the router can be turned off.

The client PCs don't need to know the address of the router as it
automatically redirects any traffic not addressed to the local "C" class
IP address range..

Old October 2nd 03, 01:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x]

The modem will not have an IP address in any networking scheme. The router
will pick a default address which can usually be changed pretty easily.

--
Richard G. Harper (MVP Win9x)
* PLEASE post all messages and replies to the newsgroup so all may

news