HOST and DHCP

Old October 2nd 03, 02:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Geoff Lane

Default HOST and DHCP

At the moment my small home network uses Static IP addresses.

I am looking in to DHCP but must admit that having used a Host file on
each computer I find the machine aliases very convenient for some of
my uses - VNC and PING etc.

If I use DHCP I assume I am unable to use any form of alias to refer
to the machines - or is there a way.

Geoff Lane

Old October 2nd 03, 04:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Tim Herty

"Geoff Lane" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
At the moment my small home network uses Static IP addresses.

I am looking in to DHCP but must admit that having used a Host file on
each computer I find the machine aliases very convenient for some of
my uses - VNC and PING etc.

If I use DHCP I assume I am unable to use any form of alias to refer
to the machines - or is there a way.

Geoff Lane

DHCP has nothing to do with name resolution.
If you want to use aliases and dhcp you should
run a nameserver on the host you will run dhcp from.
The nameserver will then take care of aliases.

You can either then bind the IPs to the MAC addresses
of your hosts or use DDNS.

With DDNS the dhcp daemen informs the nameserver
witch ip he assignes to a host and the nameserver will then
bind the IP to the hostname.

Old October 2nd 03, 11:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:26:08 +0200, "Tim Herty"
wrote:

I am looking in to DHCP but must admit that having used a Host file on
each computer I find the machine aliases very convenient for some of
my uses - VNC and PING etc.

If I use DHCP I assume I am unable to use any form of alias to refer
to the machines - or is there a way.

DHCP has nothing to do with name resolution.
If you want to use aliases and dhcp you should
run a nameserver on the host you will run dhcp from.
The nameserver will then take care of aliases.

Right, thanks for the explanation.

Nameservers are a bit beyond my understanding at the moment but one
step at a time - I'll get there.

Geoff Lane