VPN Network Addresses

Old October 2nd 03, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking
Geoff Lane

Default VPN Network Addresses

When a remote computer connects to a VPN server does the remote's
network also become part of the VPN server's network?

Geoff Lane

Old October 3rd 03, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking
shope

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
When a remote computer connects to a VPN server does the remote's
network also become part of the VPN server's network?

Depends.

if it is something running a VPN client, then usually not - just the IP
address bound to the client end of the VPN tunnel becomes reachable - often
this is assigned by the VPN server or a DHCP box.

No reason it cant have an attached network(LAN) though - thats how router to
router VPN tunnels are usually set up. If so, you would need a routing
protocol, static routes or something to let the central network / VPN server
know where to find the remote subnet.

Geoff Lane

--
Regards

Old October 4th 03, 07:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:09:24 +0100, "shope"
wrote:

When a remote computer connects to a VPN server does the remote's
network also become part of the VPN server's network?

Depends.

if it is something running a VPN client, then usually not - just the IP
address bound to the client end of the VPN tunnel becomes reachable - often
this is assigned by the VPN server or a DHCP box.

No reason it cant have an attached network(LAN) though -

I'm just enquiring - at the moment I haven't a clue about VPNs but
intend to try one with a friend.

The reason I asked about if the clients network showed up is because
both my friend and myself have home networks and I was unsure how it
would join up.

Geoff Lane

Old October 4th 03, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Linux Penguin

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:09:24 +0100, "shope" wrote:

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
.. .
When a remote computer connects to a VPN server does the remote's
network also become part of the VPN server's network?

no it will not become part of the network. like using RAS - it will allow the
single computer/entire entire network talk to each other - it will retains its
existing IP address and will not be in the same subnet as the other
server/network.