DHCP and Wireless problem

Old October 3rd 03, 11:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Ben Dyer

Default DHCP and Wireless problem

Oh how I love networks... right, can anybody help, I seem to have a
funny networking problem.

I think the problem is down to the DHCP side of my router but I am not
too sure. I have a D-Link ADSL modem (DSL-300G+) connected to my Netgear
wirelessly router (WGR614), this is then ethernet connected to my PC and
wirelessly connected to my laptop.

Since both the modem and the router are DHCP devices and having talked
to Netgear who advised me how to set it up I have the Modem set up with
an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and the router as 172.10.0.1 with an IP
address range to 172.10.0.50. Now this is working a treat with my
ethernet connected pc, it grabs an IP address from the router
dynamically and everything is fine, however I am having some
considerable problems with the wireless laptop.

When I start the laptop up, it finds the network no problem at all,
however if the TCP/IP settings are set to dynamically assign an IP
address nothing happens, for ages, then from nowhere it pops up telling
me its connected to my wireless connection with an IP address of
169.354.116.195 (or something like that). Which is odd as I would expect
it to assign a 172.10.0.? IP address... If I manually assign it an
address 172.10.0.5 for instance it works a treat.

Could it be the wireless range, as it does occasionally seem to work
when the signal strength is 'Excellent'?

Also the range of the wireless network is pretty crap, I have the router
sat on my desk upstairs and I can't get a signal downstairs. I live in a
pretty new house with studwork walls so its not a lead lined fall out
shelter or anything! The signal falls away even if I move into the room
next door! I am using a D-Link AirPlus (DWL-G650) PCMICA card in the
lappy if it helps.

Any suggestions?

Old October 3rd 03, 11:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Dave

The normal range of IP addresses for private networks has the first two sets
of numbers 192.168.... You have told your router to assign addresses in a
non-private range and your laptop doesn't seem to like it. That might be
the problem. My router by default assigns addresses beginning with
192.168.1.100 and upwards.

I am not surprised about range of your wireless. My router gets upstairs
(straight upstairs) but that is about it. Fortunately, that's where the
other PC is.

Old October 3rd 03, 12:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:15:38 +0100, Ben Dyer
wrote:

Oh how I love networks... right, can anybody help, I seem to have a
funny networking problem.

I think the problem is down to the DHCP side of my router but I am not
too sure.

Can't help there - pretty new myself.

Also the range of the wireless network is pretty crap,

I've got a Netgear 54mbps Access Point and Netgear 54mbps card in my
laptop, signal is very good, any room in my bungalow and also about
sixty feet away at the top of the garden beyond one solid brick wall.

My handheld however is marginally better than bluetooth, not happy
with it at all, using a Dell branded card which on a Dell newsgroup
has not got a good reputation.

Bearing in mind that the wireless cards ** should ** automatically
fall back with the speed the range should be usable within a house
even if it is not at full speed.

Have you tried different channels.

Geoff Lane

Old October 3rd 03, 01:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
TC

Ben Dyer wrote in news:[email protected]
206965.news.uni-berlin.de:

snip
the router (is set up) as 172.10.0.1 with a (DHCP) IP
address range to 172.10.0.50.
snip
this is working with my ethernet connected pc, it grabs an IP address
from the router dynamically and everything is fine, however I am
having some problems with the wireless laptop.

snip
nothing happens, for ages, then from nowhere it pops up telling
me its connected to my wireless connection with an IP address of
169.354.116.195 (or something like that). Which is odd as I would
expect it to assign a 172.10.0.? IP address...
If I manually assign it an address 172.10.0.5 for instance it works
snip

/\/\/\/\
The "169.x.x.x" IP assignment that ultimately "pops up" is a default
assignment made by Windows when it can't get anything else (DHCP from
the router to your laptop was not successful).

IMHO ... when the DHCP assignment fails you have an extremly poor
connection (it has to be good in both directions). Making the static IP
assignment allows it to work ... even if somewhat poorly ... and
probably with an enormous packet loss.

campbell

Old October 3rd 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
John

What OS on the laptop? Try bringing the laptop next to the router to see if
DHCP assignment improves. Check the channel on both the router and laptop.
Your problem appears to be either signal strength related or OS related.
Win98 sometimes is very hard to get a wireless connection. Any newer drivers
for your laptop wireless card?

Old October 3rd 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Tom A

Hi Ben;
I suspect the problem is the IP address that Netgear told you to use on the
router.
The 172 block starts at 172.16.0.0 you are not wihin an authorized range and
the wireless setup may be rejecting the range that the router tries to
supply. By manually assigning an address you force it to accept.
Move your range up into the proper setting and see if that helps. As noted
the 169 address only indicates that the card was unable to obtain an address
from the dhcp server. By the way if you read the modem manual Dlink
recommends an IP address for the router in the 10.0.0.0 range so you may
want to try that.
HTH;
TomA

Old October 13th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless

Tom A writes:

I suspect the problem is the IP address that Netgear told you to use on the
router.
The 172 block starts at 172.16.0.0 you are not wihin an authorized range and
the wireless setup may be rejecting the range that the router tries to
supply.

Yes there are three private (reserved and NOT routable on the Internet
but handy to use within your own stuff..) networks -

10.0.0.0/8 - The 24-bit (mask size, the mask is the /8 here) block.
172.16.0.0/12 - The 20-bit block
192.168.0.0/16 - The 16-bit block

The number of bits refers to how many of the 32 total are available to
you to use for individual local addresses.

You should keep all your own gear within any one of these blocks, and
probably you can use just some small piece of the 16-bit block for
everything.

That would mean, for instance, your local network would be 192.168.0.0/24
and allow use of 254 addresses (out of 256 total, losing one for the base
address of your network and one more for a broadcast address). Then your
net mask would be 255.255.255.0 (this is what the /24 indicates).

WHen you see a 169.254.x.x address - these are used to first contact a
DHCP server and ask for an IP address assignment. If something fails then
this address will remain, so it's an indicator of a problem somewhere in
the DHCP address assignment process.

Since both the modem and the router are DHCP devices and having talked
to Netgear who advised me how to set it up I have the Modem set up with
an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and the router as 172.10.0.1 with an IP
address range to 172.10.0.50.

Everything should be within the same one local (private..) address block.
If some stuff uses the 192.168/16 block and other stuff is on the 172.16/20
block you will have no route between them. You could possibly add another
route but most of the consumer products don't provide for that, because it's
much easier to just put everything on the same one address block (subnet).

nothing happens, for ages, then from nowhere it pops up telling
me its connected to my wireless connection with an IP address of
169.354.116.195 (or something like that).

Yes, this is an indication the DHCP request has not succeeded....

Also the range of the wireless network is pretty crap, I have the router
sat on my desk upstairs and I can't get a signal downstairs. I live in a
pretty new house with studwork walls so its not a lead lined fall out
shelter or anything! The signal falls away even if I move into the room
next door! I am using a D-Link AirPlus (DWL-G650) PCMICA card in the
lappy if it helps.

Try moving the access point/router around a bit, or if need be an external
antenna would be the first other thing to try. D-Link among others have a
pretty decent range of antennas though I've yet to see any of them in shops,
you'll probably have to order one from whichever vendor... or make one, ala
http://www.freeantennas.com/ et.al .......

Billy Y..