Router Performance

Old October 3rd 03, 11:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Geoff Lane

Default Router Performance

I intend soon to upgrade my small home network to broadband.

Obviously the routers take over the firewall functions normally
carried out by the computer (Limited I appreciate) so I am wondering,
do any of the routers contain cooling fans and as such emit any
audible noise.

Geoff Lane

Old October 3rd 03, 01:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x]

None of the ones I've seen for home use (4 ports or so) are large enough to
require a fan.

--
Richard G. Harper (MVP Win9x)
* PLEASE post all messages and replies to the newsgroup so all may

Old October 3rd 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Clive Dove

Geoff Lane wrote:

I intend soon to upgrade my small home network to broadband.

Obviously the routers take over the firewall functions normally
carried out by the computer (Limited I appreciate) so I am wondering,
do any of the routers contain cooling fans and as such emit any
audible noise.

Geoff Lane

You did not say whether your broadband service will be cable or dsl but
in either case, specify that you want to connect the computers using
ethernet cards in the computers and not USB. The ethernet connection
is more trouble free and flexible.

The routers are about the size of a hardcover book, have no fan,
harddrive, monitor or keyboard. They are set up using your browser and
you can mix Linux, OS/2, Windows, etc boxes in the same local net so
long as all the machines use ethernet and standard plain vanilla dhcp.

--
Clive, at Toronto
(remove each x in the email address)

Old October 4th 03, 08:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:41:18 GMT, Clive Dove
wrote:

I intend soon to upgrade my small home network to broadband.

Obviously the routers take over the firewall functions normally
carried out by the computer (Limited I appreciate) so I am wondering,
do any of the routers contain cooling fans and as such emit any
audible noise.

You did not say whether your broadband service will be cable or dsl

DSL

but
in either case, specify that you want to connect the computers using
ethernet cards in the computers and not USB.

Yes, that has turned me off the USR models, one USB and two ethernets.

The ethernet connection
is more trouble free and flexible.

That would be my preference.

The routers are about the size of a hardcover book, have no fan,
harddrive, monitor or keyboard. They are set up using your browser and
you can mix Linux, OS/2, Windows, etc boxes in the same local net so
long as all the machines use ethernet and standard plain vanilla dhcp.

Thanks for the info.

Geoff Lane