Wireless coverage

Old October 4th 03, 09:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil

Default Wireless coverage

I need to add PC3 onto my home network. Currently it is connected with a
trailing Cat5 for occasional use but it's untidy and difficult to hide
permanently.
I'd like to use wireless AP from the wired router to PC3 but that's from
the downstairs back to upstairs front of an old house. It would be an
expensive mistake to buy the kit and find the coverage is useless.

Question - I have a cordless (non digital) phone with the base in that
downstairs room that is clear in that upstairs room. Is that a good
guide that an AP would work or are the technologies different?

TIA
Old October 4th 03, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 11:52:52 +0100, Andy wrote:

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:54:40 +0100, Phil wrote:

I need to add PC3 onto my home network.

Alternatively, look at some of the new mains-borne systems coming out like:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm

Wow, have you seen the price.

Netgear market them on their US site, don't know the cost in the US
but I'll bet is is less than 176ukp for two devices.

Geoff Lane

Old October 4th 03, 03:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:54:40 +0100, Phil wrote:

I need to add PC3 onto my home network. Currently it is connected with a
trailing Cat5 for occasional use but it's untidy and difficult to hide
permanently.
I'd like to use wireless AP from the wired router to PC3 but that's from
the downstairs back to upstairs front of an old house. It would be an
expensive mistake to buy the kit and find the coverage is useless.

Question - I have a cordless (non digital) phone with the base in that
downstairs room that is clear in that upstairs room. Is that a good
guide that an AP would work or are the technologies different?

The product manufacturers tell us about all the good things but fail
to mention 'foil lined' plasterboard and other problems.

It might be useful to consider an Access Point that allows for an
extension aerial.

My own netgear AP and PC card installed in a laptop gets an 80pc
signal beyond one brick wall at the top of my garden whereas my
handheld dies just betond the same brick wall (20 feet away).

Geoff Lane