Blueyonder Problems

Old October 4th 03, 04:38 PM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
ian findlay

Default Blueyonder Problems

Hi,

We just had cable broadband installed in our flat and we want to share it
over the network. The network setup is 3 PCs connected through a switch, and
the modem is connected too. At the moment, we seem to have two networks
going, one PC and the modem can see each other and the other two can see
each other. The one PC seems to be getting it's IP from the modem (82.x.x.x)
and the two others are windows ones (162.x.x.x). According to Mr. Telewest
the modem's DHCP server can support 30 users or something, but when you do
an ipconfig /renew on the other two PCs they time out saying it can find a
DHCP server (or something along those lines). One thought was that we tell
windows the IP of the modem as the default gateway (but we've not a clue
how). Any help or advise you could give us on this matter would be most
appreciated.

thank,
Jamie (Edinburgh, UK)

Old October 4th 03, 05:00 PM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Nuke Pave

"ian findlay" wrote in message
[...]

Jamie,
Here in the states most cable operators only provide one I.P. address per
cable modem and thus you need to install a router. I personally use linksys
befsr41 for this type of application. Ultimatly the router will take the
I.P. from the modem and then will assign I.P.'s to each attached device.
Quite a simple setupactually but can be complicated if you ISP uses a PPPoE
authentiication or some other wacky thing. Let me know if this does/doesn't
work, I will keep an eye on this post.
Cheers,
Nuke

Old October 4th 03, 05:02 PM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

You say you are using a switch - more details please ;- )

Is it a switch or a router?

If a router then set its IP address to 192.168.0.1 - this is the Gateway
and the DHCP server for your PCs on your LAN.
Set router to do DHCP - PCs should connect and get IPs in 192.168.0.xx
range.....

OR a better (?) solution is to give the PCs fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.2
192.168.0.3 etc.... and disable DHCP on router.
Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
Gateway is 192.168.0.1 (Router)

The cable modem is still the DHCP server for the router....
Router's MAC address is either cloned from (originally connected) PC or
entered manually so Telewest cable modem is happy...

You should be able to ping 192.168.01 (router) and 192.168.100.1 (cable
modem) from all the PCs and ping all PCs from each other...

Guy

ian findlay wrote:
[...]

Old October 4th 03, 06:52 PM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Groves

In article , ian findlay
writes
[...]

Despite what the cable modem can theoretically support, it's configured
by TW to only issue a single IP address. The first PC will get that,
and have access via the modem to the Internet. All remaining machines
will default to the Windows 162.x.x.x addresses you mentioned as they
will fail to obtain an address from the modem.

You have two choices:

1. Use ICS
2. Replace the switch with a router

If going the ICS route, then you will need to add a second NIC to one
PC, and install ICS on it. The cable modem should be attached directly
to this second NIC, with the other connected to the switch, along with
the remaining machines. The other machines will access the Internet via
the ICS machine.

If you opt for a router, which is vastly preferable IMHO, then you
should simply be able to replace the switch with the router. You will
need to register the WAN MAC address of the router with Blueyonder
(http://selfcare.blueyonder.co.uk/) first, then power-off the cable
modem and connect the router to it, then power it back up again. The
router will obtain the sole permitted IP address for itself, and will
then act as a DHCP server for the machines attached to it, allowing each
access to the internet via NAT.

HTH
--
Toby
Old October 4th 03, 09:25 PM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Clark

[...]

The modem supplies ONE Public IP address.

In order to share the connection you HAVE to have either a ROUTER that does
NAT or a second NIC in a PC with a switch and Sharing software such as ICS
or Winproxy

Go to www.homenethelp.com to find out how to do what you want to.

The Modems BY use - Motorola Surfboard and Scientific Atlantica Webstars DO
have a client pool of 32 addresses but not for sharing the connection.

They don't do NAT.
The modem is actually a bridge, not a router as such

Old October 4th 03, 09:31 PM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
colin

"ian findlay" wrote in message
| Hi,

[snip]

hi

you need a ROUTER or use ICS. A switch just doesn't cut it. I too use
blueyonder. I bought a Linksys router off eBay for forty quid and it works
fine. Before that, I used ICS. It worked, but honestly it was crap.

Old October 7th 03, 12:29 AM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking

If using a computer with Win2000 or XP,
You can enable IP forwarding (allow others to connect to the internet
through this computer) and allow them to use that computer as a
router.

I have actually done it with two network cards in a computer, no
problem.
You should be able to may that computer a multi-homed computer, put
your other on a different subnet and get the whole thing to work with
one network card.
Old October 7th 03, 06:12 AM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Nuke Pave

Why on Earth would you do something so complicated when you can just get a
router and not have to worry again??
" wrote in
message m...
If using a computer with Win2000 or XP,
You can enable IP forwarding (allow others to connect to the internet
through this computer) and allow them to use that computer as a
router.

I have actually done it with two network cards in a computer, no
problem.
You should be able to may that computer a multi-homed computer, put
your other on a different subnet and get the whole thing to work with
one network card.

Old October 8th 03, 12:49 AM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Clark

"Nuke Pave" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Why on Earth would you do something so complicated when you can just get a
router and not have to worry again??

Because maybe the person doesn't have the finances for a router? Maybe
because he only has one other machine, it's pointless buying a router when
he can pay 5 for a network card and 2 for a length of Xover CatV

There is nothing complicated about using a second NIC to share a broadband
connection... unless of course "you" need some assistance !!???

Old October 25th 03, 08:52 PM posted to comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Cahan

Buy yourself a D-Link 4 port router and connect your broadband modem
directly up to it. Tell Mr. Telewest you only want to pay for one IP addy
and to make it static.