lost dns problem

Old October 5th 03, 08:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Default lost dns problem

Hi

My win 98 based pc seems to have lost the ability to communicate with the
internet. I was trying to set up a peer to peer network with a machine
running win xp, created a disk with the xp machine that had an exe to run on
other machines in the network. I ran that disk on the win 98 macine and now
when i connect to the internet Internet explorer reports

"The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be
experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser
settings.

Cannot find server or DNS Error "

I have tried checking the connection options with this windows 98 laptop,
originally the non working pc had options for the proxy server checked, and
'logon to network' unchecked. I have now reinstated all the connection
options so they much this laptop, but still get the same errors.

MS help pages suggest that wsock32.dll may be at fault so I have used sfc
and refreshed that file, it also found other files that it reported as
possibly corrupted and refreshed, but still no internet!

I also tried creating a new connection but that didnt work either.

Anyone got any ideas?

The dila up connection seems to connect ok, but appears to fail to talk to
server.

Thanks for any help given
Dave

Old October 5th 03, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Clark

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi

My win 98 based pc seems to have lost the ability to communicate with the
internet. I was trying to set up a peer to peer network with a machine
running win xp, created a disk with the xp machine that had an exe to run

on
other machines in the network. I ran that disk on the win 98 macine and

now
when i connect to the internet Internet explorer reports

"The page cannot be displayed

Check your DNS Servers. If they start with 216.x.x.x or 69.x.x.x you have
the QHost Trojan virus.

Set your DNS back to auto or disabled and run anti-virus.