Home wireless network unavailable after connecting to work network - Windows XP Linksys Router

Old October 5th 03, 03:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marc J. Osborne

Default Home wireless network unavailable after connecting to work network - Windows XP Linksys Router

Hello possible helpers!

My situation initially:

A desktop Dell, my wife's Dell laptop, a cable modem, and a Linksys wireless
router connecting the cable modem to the desktop. The router broadcast a
wireless signal that my wife's laptop, and mine from work, could pick up
anywhere on the property. We could share files and print remotely and
everything worked well from the wireless networking standpoint.

I could not, however, use my desktop PC to connect to our company's VPN and
access the work network. I could this on my laptop but then could not print
since, when connected to the VPN I was effectively off the home wireless
network.

My situation now:

I used the Network ID Wizard to rename my computer and have it joint the
work domain. Now I can connect to the work network via VPN on the desktop
and print while connected to the mainframe...something I've long wanted to
do. But now the home wireless network can't be found. All three of the
computers are acting independently and can't share or print remotely. When I
try to run the Network Setup Wizard (not the Network ID Wizard) it responds
"Cannot complete the network setup wizard. The wizard detected that this
computer belongs to a domain., Therefore, you cannot use this wizard to set
up a network".

What I would like to situation to be:

When I come home I can open up the laptop and have access to the home
wireless network. I can print to the printer attached to my wife's laptop or
the one attached to the destop. I can save files to either computer. I can
connect to the VPN from both my laptop on the wireless network or the
desktop and can print from the company mainframe when connected to the VPN
via the desktop computer. Actually, I'd like to print to either printer from
the laptop when it's connected to the mainframe via the VPN but I'm not sure
that's logically possible.

I would appreciate any insight that would this scenario a reality or an
explanation as to why it can't work and how I can at least get close.

Thanks,

Marc