Parallel cable advice

Old October 5th 03, 06:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr B

Default Parallel cable advice

Hi Folks,

I am looking to connect a laptop running windows 98 to a PC running
windows xp professional. I have read some differing opinions on how
to do this on web pages but if anyone can give me some definitive
advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old October 5th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 5 Oct
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Rob Morley
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Do it with proper network cards and a crossover cable. If neither has a
network connecting you'll need a PCI card for the PC and a PCMCIA one
for the laptop. DO NOT go the Parallel cable route as it's hideously
slow and rarely works on XP.

Alternatively you can get USB data cables, but they tend to be expensive
and no faster than the cheapest "proper" networking gear - the only
advantage is that you don't have to open the case to fit them, a major
disadvantage is that you can only connect to one other machine.

If you buy USB network adaptors you don't need to open the case either.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01

Old October 6th 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr B

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 20:37:33 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

deKay wrote:
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 5 Oct
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Rob Morley
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Do it with proper network cards and a crossover cable. If neither has a
network connecting you'll need a PCI card for the PC and a PCMCIA one
for the laptop. DO NOT go the Parallel cable route as it's hideously
slow and rarely works on XP.

Alternatively you can get USB data cables, but they tend to be expensive
and no faster than the cheapest "proper" networking gear - the only
advantage is that you don't have to open the case to fit them, a major
disadvantage is that you can only connect to one other machine.

If you buy USB network adaptors you don't need to open the case either.

S'true :-)

Thanks for this advice but...the laptop in question is a company one
belonging to my father in law. Unfortunatelt he lives a few hundred
miles for me so I am trying to get a simple solution that I can pass
on to him as he is not fully confident with computers.

Also I don't want to go spending money on a network card for it (as
well as his one) as I already have a parallel cable that I used way
back in the good old days of 486's that should do the trick :-)

I have been told that a program called link mavis which is at

http://www.briggsoft.com/lmaven.htm

will do the business for me. I've downloaded it but will need to send
it to my father in law along with the cable to try it out.

Cheers.
Old October 6th 03, 02:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

wrote:

deKay wrote:
[...]

You don't need any additional software to do this - it's part of Windows
(Communications in the Windows Setup tab of Add/Remove Programs). He
might like to explore the Briefcase funtionality as well.