Help! Packets sent & received: 0 & 0

Old October 5th 03, 06:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anon

Default Help! Packets sent & received: 0 & 0

I've had a network running for 2 years with very little trouble. Suddenly
it stopped working for no apparent reason. Both machines run WinXP Pro.

Machine A:
Direct Broadband connection
NE2000 card with BNC connector
Packets sent: 0
Packets received: 0
Ping to Machine B: Request timed out

Machine B:
ICS to Machine A
NE2000 card with BNC connector
Packets sent: 632
Packets received: 0

I have checked 38 times that the cable is firmly connected both ends! The
Network Troubleshooter still tells me it's a hardware problem, but WHY ISN'T
MACHINE A EVEN SENDING ANY DATA?

I have reinstalled XP, uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter, run
the setup wizard (which is how it usually works fine), etc. but no use.

Any help greatly appreciated as my mum (owner of machine B) is getting fed
up, and so am I!

Jon

Old October 6th 03, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Anon wrote:

[...]

See what happens if you try running Netbui as a networking protocol, if
that dosen't work it could be a Terminator resistor or cable or nic
problem ?
Co-ax network cabling is a nigthmare to diagnose -- change the cards for
cheap Realtek PCI 8139 100baseT with rj45 fittings and buy a suitable
crossover wired cat5 cable -- I have see them sold as as bundle 2 pci
nic cards + 25 crossover cable for less than 15 quid

Old October 9th 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anon

Thanks, but if it was the cable would Machine A say 0 packets sent? That
sounds like a software problem from what little I know. Advice appreciated!