VPN Servers

Old October 10th 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Geoff Lane

Default VPN Servers

The computer club I attend has a wired and wireless network set up on
club nights.

We have a dial up modem connection and share internet and files on our
local network.

Our server is a Linux machine which serves a variation of Operating
Systems including ME, XP, RiscOS and PocketPC.

We want to look in to a VPN for members unable to attend.

I assume the fact we use a Linux box for our server will present a
problem or can one of the machines within the network act as the VPN
server.

Geoff Lane

Old October 10th 03, 03:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Rob Morley

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/LD...ade-HOWTO.html
Old October 10th 03, 06:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Chuck Lloyd

I just have to say this...VPN is slow on the client end..I can just imagine
having 5-6 people VPNing into my server over a single dialup.
sssssllllllooooowwwww

Old October 10th 03, 08:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:41:06 GMT, "Chuck Lloyd"
wrote:

The computer club I attend has a wired and wireless network set up on
club nights.

Our server is a Linux machine which serves a variation of Operating
Systems including ME, XP, RiscOS and PocketPC.

We want to look in to a VPN for members unable to attend.

I just have to say this...VPN is slow on the client end..I can just imagine
having 5-6 people VPNing into my server over a single dialup.
sssssllllllooooowwwww

I doubt we would have more than one or two but I do appreciate it
would be slow.

It wouldn't affect our club based wired/wireless network to any great
extent though would it.

Geoff Lane

Old October 10th 03, 08:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:10:57 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

The computer club I attend has a wired and wireless network set up on
club nights.

We have a dial up modem connection and share internet and files on our
local network.

Our server is a Linux machine which serves a variation of Operating
Systems including ME, XP, RiscOS and PocketPC.

We want to look in to a VPN for members unable to attend.

I assume the fact we use a Linux box for our server will present a
problem or can one of the machines within the network act as the VPN
server.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/LD...ade-HOWTO.html

Briefly viewed the link - I may be getting this back to front, what I
would like to do is allow persons at home to access our club network.

My brief understanding of the link you sent me is that it allows
persons on a network to log on to some remote VPN rather than need to
dial up.

Have I got it the wrong way round.

Geoff Lane

Old October 10th 03, 09:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Rob Morley

wrote:

[...]

You didn't read as far as the bit that says "Masquerading allows you to
make a VPN server available to the internet even if you only have one
assigned IP address". Which means you can run a Windows VPN server on
your local network and make it available through the Linux
server/firewall, unless I'm mistaken :-)
Old October 11th 03, 08:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:05:44 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

The computer club I attend has a wired and wireless network set up on
club nights.

Our server is a Linux machine which serves a variation of Operating
Systems including ME, XP, RiscOS and PocketPC.

We want to look in to a VPN for members unable to attend.

You didn't read as far as the bit that says "Masquerading allows you to
make a VPN server available to the internet even if you only have one
assigned IP address".

Right, I'll have another read.

Thanks,

Geoff Lane

Old October 19th 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Toby Groves

In article , Geoff Lane
writes
My brief understanding of the link you sent me is that it allows
persons on a network to log on to some remote VPN rather than need to
dial up.

Have I got it the wrong way round.

In your situation, both the club network and the home user(s) would need
to be connected to the internet, then a VPN established over the top of
these links.

What is it that you want the home users to be able to do once connected?
Bear in mind that if you only have a dial-up link to the Internet from
the club, then VPNs may not be practical for what you want to achieve.
--
Toby
Old October 20th 03, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:49:52 GMT, "Toby Groves"
wrote:

My brief understanding of the link you sent me is that it allows
persons on a network to log on to some remote VPN rather than need to
dial up.

Have I got it the wrong way round.

In your situation, both the club network and the home user(s) would need
to be connected to the internet, then a VPN established over the top of
these links.

What is it that you want the home users to be able to do once connected?
Bear in mind that if you only have a dial-up link to the Internet from
the club, then VPNs may not be practical for what you want to achieve.

To be able to log on and show up on the network, maybe exchange a
couple of files etc.

I do appreciate the slowness but it is more a case of letting members
who can't attend still be part of it.

I know they will not be able to play our network games.

Geoff Lane