OK with static IP weird with DHCP

Old October 10th 03, 11:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

Default OK with static IP weird with DHCP

I have a laptop running ME which has been connected using cabled
Ethernet to a DrayTek 2600 ADSL router and out to the Internet. The
cabled installation has always worked fine using DHCP with the router as
DHCP server.

I have recently added a Netgear WG602 WAP to the cabled network and a
Netgear 511 PCI card to the laptop. If I configure the laptop's PCI card
with a static IP address on the local network everything works fine.

If I configure the wireless PCI card to use DHCP there are problems.
When the system first starts up the laptop cannot access the Internet
using domain name URLs. If I use one IP address based URL once in IE
then domain name based URLs start, and continue, to work until I reboot
either the laptop or the router after which domain name based URLs stop
working again. All the time NetBEUI works fine so the problem is
specific to IP. Additionally when DHCP is in use the laptop cannot ping
out but other hosts on the network can ping in to the laptop.

The laptop's firewall has been disabled to no avail, TCP/IP and the PCI
card drivers have been removed and re-installed to no avail

Any ideas as to what the cause of this is, or suggestions for other
things to try to resolve this would be gratefully received.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old October 10th 03, 12:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Reeve

"bof" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know very much about this at all, but is the original network card
still fitted and configured and so possibly conflicting on the network?

Al Reeve

---

Old October 10th 03, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Alan Reeve
writes

"bof" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, the original n/w card is still fitted, it's
allocated a different IP address to the wireless card in both DHCP and
static IP setups and works OK all the time in all configs.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old October 10th 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"bof" wrote in message
I have a laptop running ME which has been connected using

cabled
Ethernet to a DrayTek 2600 ADSL router and out to the

Internet. The
cabled installation has always worked fine using DHCP with

the router as
DHCP server.

I have recently added a Netgear WG602 WAP to the cabled

network and a
Netgear 511 PCI card to the laptop. If I configure the

laptop's PCI card
with a static IP address on the local network everything

works fine.

Does the WAP also have a DHCP server built in, if so, is it
enabled?..

P.

Old October 10th 03, 07:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
::compynei::

"bof" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried setting the router as your DNS server?

Old October 12th 03, 01:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Nuckfut

In article ,
says...
[...]

Yes. You're running two DHCP servers on the same network segment.,THIS
WILL NOT WORK. One will take over as master, usually the WAP point and
set the default gateway for internet access to itself hence the
problem. You need to turn off the DHCP server in the WAP and set the
WAP to get its IP address assigned by DHCP which the router will take
care of.

--
Nuckfut

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old October 14th 03, 04:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , PJB
writes

"bof" wrote in message
I have a laptop running ME which has been connected using

cabled
Ethernet to a DrayTek 2600 ADSL router and out to the

Internet. The
cabled installation has always worked fine using DHCP with

the router as
DHCP server.

I have recently added a Netgear WG602 WAP to the cabled

network and a
Netgear 511 PCI card to the laptop. If I configure the

laptop's PCI card
with a static IP address on the local network everything

works fine.

Does the WAP also have a DHCP server built in, if so, is it
enabled?..

Thanks PJB, no it doesn't, I've also tried setting the WAP IP to static,
rather than DHCP, but the problem remains the same

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old October 14th 03, 04:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message ,
"::compynei::" writes
"bof" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, just tried this and it does cure the problem. However putting a
static DNS or IP doesn't really seem the right solution for a laptop
with wireless that should be able to connect to any network; though I
think in this context a static DNS is probably[1] more preferable to a
static IP.

[1] anyone care to comment on this?
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old October 14th 03, 04:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Nuckfut
writes
In article ,
says...
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, this doesn't seem to be the case here, AFAICS
there is no DHCP server in the WAP and the router is aware of the laptop
and has issued the IP address for it when it's set to DHCP.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk