Can I remove a Wireless LAN from Available Networks with XP Home

Old October 11th 03, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Leigh Bentley

Default Can I remove a Wireless LAN from Available Networks with XP Home

I have recently purchased a wireless LAN access point to connect to my ADSL
line using 802.11b (11Mb) wireless LAN card in my Windows XP Home Edition
laptop.

Someone else in the building must have their own wireless LAN, which
appears on the list of wireless networks detected by Windows XP.

Is it possible to reconfigure my wireless LAN card to not look for other
available networks? I'm only interested in connecting to my LAN, but I
think the availability of the other LAN is causing connectivity drop-outs
for my laptop on my LAN. Does this make sense?

The access point is a Toshiba WBG 1200A and my card is a Realtek RTL8180,
if this makes any difference.

Thanks for your help.
Leigh
Old October 12th 03, 02:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will Light

I have a similar problem, although I am using XP Professional. I am
networking two computers just using a cross-over cable, and sharing a BT
Openworld Broadband connection using ICS. However, I recently obtained a new
scanner which has a firewire connection. XP recognises the 1394 (Firewire)
card as another network connection, and since it thinks I have two networks,
insists on bridging my Ethernet Card and the Firewire card. This has led to
problems where my second computer regularly loses the ICS connection. I
usually have to do "Repair Connection" in the menus of both the second
machine and the Bridge icon in Network connections. Can anyone tell me if I
can stop XP from bridging the two cards. The only way I can see is to
disable the 1394 card or uninstall it, except when I want to use the
scanner....
Any ideas why the connection should be dropped so frequently? (I have a
similar problem with a friend's network, but he doesn't have the firewire
complication, just two XP Pro machines and a crossover. BTW - if something
happens which requires the REPAIR CONNECTION option on the menu, why the
heck doesn't Microsoft stop the connection crashing in the first place?

Will Light

. 32.13...

Old October 19th 03, 09:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Webmaster

Leigh Bentley reckoned that:
I have recently purchased a wireless LAN access point to connect to my ADSL
Someone else in the building must have their own wireless LAN, which
appears on the list of wireless networks detected by Windows XP.

Once you have a network set up, it's common practise to set your equipment
not to broadcast SSID. Clearly the person who'se network is showing in your
list doesn't really understand the implications.

Is it possible to reconfigure my wireless LAN card to not look for other
available networks?
I'm only interested in connecting to my LAN, but I
think the availability of the other LAN is causing connectivity drop-outs
for my laptop on my LAN. Does this make sense?

You might try changing channel on your equipment.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Motorola remote unlocking - 10 (includes A920 on '3')