Can I use BNC cable for RJ45? Can I extend BNC cable?

Old October 11th 03, 12:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anon

Default Can I use BNC cable for RJ45? Can I extend BNC cable?

Hi, I have an existing BNC cable hard-wired into my apartment but find BNC a
constant nightmare to diagnose faults on. I also have a new Sony Vaio which
has a built-in RJ45 socket, which would be nice to use instead of a separate
BNC PCI card. Can I use the BNC cable and modify the plugs at each end to
work with RJ45 network cards?

As a separate question, I need a bit more length on the BNC cable. Will it
cause problems to extend the BNC cable by adding a malefemale cable to the
end of the cable's existing female plug?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Old October 11th 03, 04:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:43:41 GMT, "Anon" [email protected] com wrote:

Hi, I have an existing BNC cable hard-wired into my apartment but find BNC a
constant nightmare to diagnose faults on. I also have a new Sony Vaio which
has a built-in RJ45 socket, which would be nice to use instead of a separate
BNC PCI card. Can I use the BNC cable and modify the plugs at each end to
work with RJ45 network cards?

No, the cables are completely incompatable. *however* you could get a
hub with both 10Base2 and 10BaseT connections and link your new
machine in that way. However a cheapo combo card will no doubt be
cheaper.

As a separate question, I need a bit more length on the BNC cable. Will it
cause problems to extend the BNC cable by adding a malefemale cable to the
end of the cable's existing female plug?

Yes, you can extend cables like that. My office was awash with linked
cables like that before we stripped it all out and put in new Cat5.

Regards

--
Jeff
http://www.supersonic.org.uk/
Old October 12th 03, 01:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nuckfut

In article , [email protected]
says...
Hi, I have an existing BNC cable hard-wired into my apartment but find BNC a
constant nightmare to diagnose faults on. I also have a new Sony Vaio which
has a built-in RJ45 socket, which would be nice to use instead of a separate
BNC PCI card. Can I use the BNC cable and modify the plugs at each end to
work with RJ45 network cards?

No unless you want to do 8 Co-ax runs for each length of CAT5.

As a separate question, I need a bit more length on the BNC cable. Will it
cause problems to extend the BNC cable by adding a malefemale cable to the
end of the cable's existing female plug?

No.
--
Nuckfut

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old October 12th 03, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will Light

The limit on length of BNC cables using ethernet is 110m from the ethernet
card to the terminator at the end of the wire segment. You cannot extend the
length of the cable beyond 110m. So long as you are less than this length,
and use proper connectors you should be oK.

Will Light

"awm" wrote in message
Anon wrote:
Hi, I have an existing BNC cable hard-wired into my apartment but find

BNC a
constant nightmare to diagnose faults on. I also have a new Sony Vaio

which
has a built-in RJ45 socket, which would be nice to use instead of a

separate
BNC PCI card. Can I use the BNC cable and modify the plugs at each end

work with RJ45 network cards?

As a separate question, I need a bit more length on the BNC cable. Will

it
cause problems to extend the BNC cable by adding a malefemale cable to

the
end of the cable's existing female plug?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Best advice is change to cat5 wiring.

If you can pull the bnc cable freely you should be able to use it to
draw a cat5 cable through the wall -- if you do it carfully making a
nice smooth joint and have somebody feeding the cat 5 wire in as you
pull the old cable out.

Old October 12th 03, 09:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:58:44 +0000 (UTC), "Will Light"
wrote:

The limit on length of BNC cables using ethernet is 110m from the ethernet
card to the terminator at the end of the wire segment. You cannot extend the
length of the cable beyond 110m. So long as you are less than this length,
and use proper connectors you should be oK.

Unless you've got a repeater.
I'm about to throw one out? Anyone want it before it hits the dustbin?
(Newcastle area)

Re

--
Jeff