1Gigabit Lan infrastructure

Old October 11th 03, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek Tweedie

Default 1Gigabit Lan infrastructure

I currently have a 100Mbit lan running on 5 PC's cat5 cabling.

I have found a very cheap gigabit switch and would like to know if my Cat5
cable will run at this speed, as someone told me I would have to get CAT5e
??? is this true and if so what is the difference between the 2

Thanks

Old October 11th 03, 11:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoName

I heard you can run GB Ethernet over cat5 - a server we just got has a gigabit
card that has a RJ45 connection- personally I would only use fibre cable for
gigabit ethernet

Old October 12th 03, 12:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek Tweedie

"NoName" wrote in message
I heard you can run GB Ethernet over cat5 - a server we just got has a

gigabit
card that has a RJ45 connection- personally I would only use fibre cable

for
gigabit ethernet

So how does rj45 work on fibre?

Old October 12th 03, 08:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoName

you dont, you can get gigabit cards with either RJ45 or fibre optic connection..
you can not run fibre over RJ45

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:15:47 +0000 (UTC), "Derek Tweedie"
wrote:

.. .

Old October 13th 03, 08:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

No ..you will need Cat 6 for 1Gb

IIRC 'Regular' Cat 5 is rated upto 100Mb, Cat 5e (enhanced) upto 350Mb, Cat
6 upto 1Gb.

Cat 5e is made to a higher spec than Cat 5 and has tighter twists.

Guy