mbps transmit and receive

Old October 11th 03, 11:50 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default mbps transmit and receive

My Netgear 54mbps Access Point has a number of settings regarding 11b
or 11g gettings as well as AUTO.

I can also set various speeds as well as BEST.

Why would one want to transmit at a slower speed if the adapter cards
all appear to have 'automatic fall back'.

Reason I ask is that my current wireless network is very eratic,
unless I have a full signal I'm getting problems.

My Netgear AP works fine with a Netgear 54mbps PC card, it is two 11b
11mbps cards from different manufacturers I am having problems with.

Geoff Lane

Old October 13th 03, 10:46 AM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
0O0

try running NetPerSec this will tell you exactly what you are getting
remember 54Mbps doesnt mean that is what you will get!

Old October 13th 03, 04:33 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:46:40 +0000 (UTC), "0O0"
wrote:

Reason I ask is that my current wireless network is very eratic,
unless I have a full signal I'm getting problems.

My Netgear AP works fine with a Netgear 54mbps PC card, it is two 11b
11mbps cards from different manufacturers I am having problems with.

try running NetPerSec this will tell you exactly what you are getting

Tried to download, kept taking me to a page to sign up for a magazine.

remember 54Mbps doesnt mean that is what you will get!

Ah yes, the big advertising print and the much smaller 'It's not quite
as good as you expect' print.

Geoff Lane