Wireless network setup problem

Old October 12th 03, 08:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Slaphead

Default Wireless network setup problem

I am new to networking so any help will be appreciated. I want to connect my
laptop PC, (wireless network enabled) with my desktop PC. My desktop has no
free PCI slots so I have purchased a Linksys wireless USB network adaptor,
attached it to my machine and installed the software. I have name my
computers MIKES-PC and MIKES-LAPTOP and both are running Windows XP. I have
run the Microsoft network wizard on both and have shared some folders on the
desktop. It looks like the machines are talking to each other because when I
look at the wireless network properties on my desktop it says connected and
shows the name of the laptop (MIKES-LAPTOP). However, when I try to connect
the laptop to the shared folders on the desktop I can't find them.

I obviously haven't set everything up that I need to but I don't know what
I've missed. Can anyone give me some clues or a walkthrough of how I should
have set them up would be useful..

Cheers

mike

Old October 13th 03, 06:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:02:41 +0100, Slaphead wrote:

[...]

Sounds like your workgroup names are not the same on each machine. This is
not essential but it does help for the computers to 'find' each other.

It can take a while for the machines to populate the the 'My network
places' If you leave them connected it will eventually show the other
machine.

You can actually force a connection by mapping a drive from the command
prompt by using the 'NET USE' command. To map the X: drive on the laptop
to a share on the desktop:

NET USE X: \\MIKES-PC\share-name

Hope this helps, graham