Ethernet Bridge

Old October 12th 03, 11:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Geoff Lane

Default Ethernet Bridge

What exactly is a Wireless Ethernet bridge.

I'm looking at the specs and can't really see any difference to my
Wireless Access Point which plugs in to my ethernet switch and
connects me to my wired network.

Geoff Lane

Old October 13th 03, 02:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Leon The Peon

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
What exactly is a Wireless Ethernet bridge.

I'm looking at the specs and can't really see any difference to my
Wireless Access Point which plugs in to my ethernet switch and
connects me to my wired network.

You access points connect your wireless laptop,etc to the local LAN. this
allows ad hoc mode.

A bridge connects two Lan's. This is Infrastructure mode.

You cant use a cheap access point to connect two Lan's.

Probably the bridge also allows itself to be used as access point.

Old October 13th 03, 03:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Vincent Fox

Geoff Lane writes:

What exactly is a Wireless Ethernet bridge.

I'm looking at the specs and can't really see any difference to my
Wireless Access Point which plugs in to my ethernet switch and
connects me to my wired network.

AP mode is a "server" that allows end-user client machines
to connect to a wired LAN.

A bridge is most often used to weld two separate LANS.
Like my house and my friends house can bridge and appear
to be on same LAN. 2 Bridge units may connect many
PC's on each side, the bridge is like a switch or router.

A wireless unit set for bridge mode cannot also act
as an AP able to serve conventional laptops. With most
equipment it's either it's an AP or a bridge, not both
at the same time. You want to do both things, you have
to buy separate units.

--
Vincent Fox
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!pri sm!vf5
Old October 13th 03, 06:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Peteris Krumins

(Vincent Fox) wrote in news:[email protected]
int.gatech.edu:

Geoff Lane writes:

What exactly is a Wireless Ethernet bridge.

I'm looking at the specs and can't really see any difference to my
Wireless Access Point which plugs in to my ethernet switch and
connects me to my wired network.

AP mode is a "server" that allows end-user client machines
to connect to a wired LAN.

A bridge is most often used to weld two separate LANS.
Like my house and my friends house can bridge and appear
to be on same LAN. 2 Bridge units may connect many
PC's on each side, the bridge is like a switch or router.

A wireless unit set for bridge mode cannot also act
as an AP able to serve conventional laptops. With most
equipment it's either it's an AP or a bridge, not both
at the same time. You want to do both things, you have
to buy separate units.

I object.

Using prism2 wireless cards, HostAP driver and the other tools
required, the wireless device can be turned into a Wireless Bridge
with ability to act as AP.
Also using HostAP drivers the device can be turned into a Wireless
Bridge/AP using only one antenne. Even more, using HostAP drivers
and turning the device as Wireless Bridge/AP can create redundant
802.11b links because two or more HostAP Wireless Bridges/APs
can communicate with each other using the same ESSID.

P.Krumins
Old October 13th 03, 07:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Vincent Fox

Peteris Krumins writes:

A wireless unit set for bridge mode cannot also act
as an AP able to serve conventional laptops. With most
equipment it's either it's an AP or a bridge, not both
at the same time. You want to do both things, you have
to buy separate units.

I object.

See that "With most equipment..." ?

Your average COTS AP will not do this because the makers
proprietary software will not let you do it.

Using prism2 wireless cards, HostAP driver and the other tools
required, the wireless device can be turned into a Wireless Bridge
with ability to act as AP.
Also using HostAP drivers the device can be turned into a Wireless
Bridge/AP using only one antenne. Even more, using HostAP drivers
and turning the device as Wireless Bridge/AP can create redundant
802.11b links because two or more HostAP Wireless Bridges/APs
can communicate with each other using the same ESSID.

Yes I know about this. You think John Q. Public is going to
attempt this? Didn't seem important to mention considering
the audience.

Old October 14th 03, 05:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,comp.os.linux.networking
Peteris Krumins

(Vincent Fox) wrote in news:[email protected]
int2.gatech.edu:

Peteris Krumins writes:

A wireless unit set for bridge mode cannot also act
as an AP able to serve conventional laptops. With most
equipment it's either it's an AP or a bridge, not both
at the same time. You want to do both things, you have
to buy separate units.

I object.

See that "With most equipment..." ?

Oh, did not notice.

Your average COTS AP will not do this because the makers
proprietary software will not let you do it.

Yes, i dont know any (little) wireless device which would act
the same as prism2 and HostAP. Do you?

Using prism2 wireless cards, HostAP driver and the other tools
required, the wireless device can be turned into a Wireless Bridge
with ability to act as AP.
Also using HostAP drivers the device can be turned into a Wireless
Bridge/AP using only one antenne. Even more, using HostAP drivers
and turning the device as Wireless Bridge/AP can create redundant
802.11b links because two or more HostAP Wireless Bridges/APs
can communicate with each other using the same ESSID.

Yes I know about this. You think John Q. Public is going to
attempt this? Didn't seem important to mention considering
the audience.

John Q. Public? I dont know such expression, does it mean 'not
experienced public'? If so, then most probably noone is going
to attempt it.

P.Krumins