car 5e telephone point

Old October 14th 03, 01:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Default car 5e telephone point

doobrie wrote in
:

i want to cable in my own telephone extension to use for a modem
in another room ... fine doing network cabling but never used
telephone cable before so thought id just use cat5e that i have
spare and get a couple of convertors from rj45 telephone
connectors and found some at homestead, im just not sure exactly
what type id need ... anyone know? the link is:-

http://www.homestead.co.uk/va2581.htm

im planning to plug a double adapter into the bt master socket,
a phone into 1 and the convertor into the other taking the cable
off to another room and then another convertor to bt plug

would the va258-1 be what id need?

Cat 5e etc is taking the long and expensive way round. If you go to
your local B&Q or similar store, you should be able to buy a
complete kit including wire that does the biz - full instructions,
no special tools required. I bought a 15 metre kit for about a
tenner recently.

--
BRG
===
Old October 14th 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

doobrie wrote:
Cat 5e etc is taking the long and expensive way round. If you go to
your local B&Q or similar store, you should be able to buy a
complete kit including wire that does the biz - full instructions,
no special tools required. I bought a 15 metre kit for about a
tenner recently.

i already have the cat5 and the tools so might as well use it, but also
the modem use would be temporary and once broadband is put in i could
use the network points id put there for network access to the broaband
from the other room or for just connecting my laptop to the other system

In that case the easiest solution is probably to wire the Cat5 to an RJ45
socket at each end as normal, then make up a couple of adapters by
splitting a short phone extension cable and crimping RJ45 plugs on the
cut ends. Thats assuming that the flimsy phone cable will take the
crimping.