- whats wrong with google

Old October 14th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ritch

Default - whats wrong with google

now I just get taken to a page named cpanel and it says "no website is
configured at this address"

What does that mean, could I have a virus or something

ritch

"Ritch" wrote in message
I just get the cant find server message, had this problem for a couple of
days.

Old October 14th 03, 01:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Ritch said this...

now I just get taken to a page named cpanel and it says "no website is
configured at this address"

What does that mean, could I have a virus or something

QHosts
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...an.qhosts.html

Not a BIG deal, no serious system damage.

--
~ dvd ~
Old October 14th 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ritch

it found something but I still cant get google, does the same as before

thanks anyway

ritch

Ritch said this...

Old October 14th 03, 06:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Ritch said this...
it found something but I still cant get google, does the same as before

Difficult without knowing how much cleaning you've done.
Try searching your system for HOSTS
If you still find more than one, you may require further housework.
--
~ dvd ~
Old October 14th 03, 06:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ritch

ive found 2 hosts files and the lmhosts file, pretty much out of my depth at
this point

one of the hosts files has 88.88.88.88 elite at the top, below that is a
list of search engines IP addresses, the file is in windows\help

the other one has the following written at the top: - This is a sample HOSTS
file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows with the IP address of the local
host below

any ideas

Thanks
ritch

Ritch said this...

Old October 15th 03, 10:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Ritch said this...

ive found 2 hosts files and the lmhosts file, pretty much out of my
depth at this point

one of the hosts files has 88.88.88.88 elite at the top, below that is a
list of search engines IP addresses, the file is in windows\help

OK. That HOSTS file in windows\help is the baddie. This was dropped by the
worm. I suggest you read through the manual removal instructions here

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100719.htm

and come back with any questions or uncertainties. If you are comfortable
with registry work this should be easy, but otherwise feel free to ask.
--
~ dvd ~
Old October 15th 03, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ritch

thanks Groove, that finally sorted it. I'm going to have to become more
aware of viruses cause when I do get them I don't know what the hell to do.

If you know of any good sites or programs that help with viruses I would
appreciate being pointed in the right direction

thanks
ritch

Ritch said this...

Old October 15th 03, 01:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Ritch said this...

If you know of any good sites or programs that help with viruses I would
appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Glad I could help. The problem with viruses and worms etc is that one is
always coming from behind. No sooner do the anti-virus companies list and
defend against something then some other little nasty is released into the
wild. In my opinion the best area to study is hardening and securing your
own system. Adding and/or tuning a good firewall, securing your browser as
much as possible, shutting down unnecessary services that can provide entry
points etc...
There are masses of sites that offer a wealth of info in this field. Also
you will find many folks in these groups willing to advise. Happy Hunting.

--
~ dvd ~
Old October 20th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Groove" wrote in message
Ritch said this...

now I just get taken to a page named cpanel and it says "no website is
configured at this address"

What does that mean, could I have a virus or something

QHosts
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...an.qhosts.html

Not a BIG deal, no serious system damage.

Interesting. Last night I couldn't access Google: my browser stayed on the
home page (news.bbc.co.uk) and made no attempt to load Google's page. Even
doing an nslookup and entering the IP address in IE didn't cause it to load
Google.

I rebooted and it was fine after that.

I was prepared to put it down to "just one of those things" until I saw that
other people have had problems.

Old October 20th 03, 11:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Martin Underwood said this...
I was prepared to put it down to "just one of those things" until I saw
that other people have had problems.

Strange. I've never seen this fix itself before. I guess it's just one of
those Windows things. Oh the joys of home computing g
--
~ dvd ~

Cuius testiculos habes,
habeas cardia et cerebellum