Wrong info shown

Old October 15th 03, 06:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian Hales

Default Wrong info shown

Hi

Over my lan, i have a computer in the models room(cars, planes etc), but has
a small hd, so i want to access my many thousands of images, stored on puter
A, trouble is all the drives letters are wrong, im using 4hds, 3cd's, mix of
scsi and ide but its not showing the correct name for each one.

Using 98 on A and SE on models machine.

anyone?
thanks

PS, i use machine C for general browsing, again small HD, so i want to save
A, and B, or swap programs from folder to folder(in A, B), i do this thru
machine C by opening windows of both machines etc, but wonderd is the data
sent direct from A to B(or folder to folder), or does it get transferd
accross the third machine in the middle? I often downlaod maps for my LAN
gaming, so that is why i move files etc and wonderd.

Old October 15th 03, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Julian Hales" [email protected] proof.com wrote in
:

Hi

Over my lan, i have a computer in the models room(cars,

planes
etc), but has a small hd, so i want to access my many

thousands
of images, stored on puter A, trouble is all the drives

letters
are wrong, im using 4hds, 3cd's, mix of scsi and ide but

its not
showing the correct name for each one.

That isn't a fault; it is how Windows file sharing works.
The remote drives are mapped to local drive letters, and you
can't have two drives (local or remote) with the same drive
letter.

PS, i use machine C for general browsing, again small HD,

so i
want to save A, and B, or swap programs from folder to

folder(in
A, B), i do this thru machine C by opening windows of both
machines etc, but wonderd is the data sent direct from A

to B(or
folder to folder), or does it get transferd accross the

third
machine in the middle? I often downlaod maps for my LAN

gaming,
so that is why i move files etc and wonderd.

The file data is sent via the third PC.

--
BRG
===
Old October 15th 03, 03:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Julian Hales [email protected] wrote:
Hi

Over my lan, i have a computer in the models room(cars, planes etc), but has
a small hd, so i want to access my many thousands of images, stored on puter
A, trouble is all the drives letters are wrong, im using 4hds, 3cd's, mix of
scsi and ide but its not showing the correct name for each one.

Name the shares so you can identify them - machine-name_drive-letter or
machine-name_CD, for instance. Also you can use distinctive mapping when
you mount them - P,Q,R for machine1 C,D,E and X,Y,Z for machine2 C,D,E,
for example.

Using 98 on A and SE on models machine.

anyone?
thanks

PS, i use machine C for general browsing, again small HD, so i want to save
A, and B, or swap programs from folder to folder(in A, B), i do this thru
machine C by opening windows of both machines etc, but wonderd is the data
sent direct from A to B(or folder to folder), or does it get transferd
accross the third machine in the middle? I often downlaod maps for my LAN
gaming, so that is why i move files etc and wonderd.

The data goes via the machine with the drive mounts - if you want to
avoid this use a remote control utility like VNC which enables you to
control one of the machines and copy directly to/from the other, with
only the viewer running on the machine you're sitting at.
Old October 15th 03, 05:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian Hales

"BRG" wrote in message
"Julian Hales" [email protected] proof.com wrote in
:

Hi

Over my lan, i have a computer in the models room(cars,

planes
etc), but has a small hd, so i want to access my many

thousands
of images, stored on puter A, trouble is all the drives

letters
are wrong, im using 4hds, 3cd's, mix of scsi and ide but

its not
showing the correct name for each one.

That isn't a fault; it is how Windows file sharing works.
The remote drives are mapped to local drive letters, and you
can't have two drives (local or remote) with the same drive
letter.

I think i know what you mean, i dont have the view of all the networked
drives, hell it would be close to 20, but when i click a pc it it lists that
pc's drives, it gives the wrong A:C:E:F:G:H:I with the wrong names, i
gave each one a name, backup 1, backup2, so i do multilpe backups of the
drivers for all the puters etc

PS, i use machine C for general browsing, again small HD,

so i
want to save A, and B, or swap programs from folder to

folder(in
A, B), i do this thru machine C by opening windows of both
machines etc, but wonderd is the data sent direct from A

to B(or
folder to folder), or does it get transferd accross the

third
machine in the middle? I often downlaod maps for my LAN

gaming,
so that is why i move files etc and wonderd.

The file data is sent via the third PC.

thanks!

--
BRG
===

Old October 15th 03, 05:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian Hales

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Julian Hales [email protected] wrote:
Hi

Over my lan, i have a computer in the models room(cars, planes etc), but

has
a small hd, so i want to access my many thousands of images, stored on

puter
A, trouble is all the drives letters are wrong, im using 4hds, 3cd's,

mix of
scsi and ide but its not showing the correct name for each one.

Name the shares so you can identify them - machine-name_drive-letter or
machine-name_CD, for instance. Also you can use distinctive mapping when
you mount them - P,Q,R for machine1 C,D,E and X,Y,Z for machine2 C,D,E,
for example.

yes thats what i did, but there mixed up, as 3 are scsi of various sizes i
name them 'scsi xxxx' but each has diff gb and its metioned in the xxxx bit
but on other computers it jumbles up each one so the names dont match the
actual drive.

.......maybe its me, the meds i take means i forget things in seconds.

[...]

Thankyou.

I do notice that the only machine with XP takes a while to open folders on
the other pc's, several seconds compared to much less with the others, i
know the the specs of the nics abiet that one, which is 100mb. A and C are
straight to the router, B goes thru a 10mb hub.

Old October 15th 03, 06:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Julian Hales [email protected] wrote:
snip
yes thats what i did, but there mixed up, as 3 are scsi of various sizes i
name them 'scsi xxxx' but each has diff gb and its metioned in the xxxx bit
but on other computers it jumbles up each one so the names dont match the
actual drive.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here - what gets jumbled?

......maybe its me, the meds i take means i forget things in seconds.

Makes life more interesting - do something, forget about it, go to do it
again and it's already done :-) Although I find I more often forget to
do things in the first place :-(

snip
I do notice that the only machine with XP takes a while to open folders on
the other pc's, several seconds compared to much less with the others, i
know the the specs of the nics abiet that one, which is 100mb. A and C are
straight to the router, B goes thru a 10mb hub.

There does seem to be an issue with sharing between the Win9X and WinNT
families - I assume it's something to do with authentication methods, but
I've never bothered to look further into it.
Old October 16th 03, 02:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Julian Hales

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Julian Hales [email protected] wrote:
snip
yes thats what i did, but there mixed up, as 3 are scsi of various sizes

name them 'scsi xxxx' but each has diff gb and its metioned in the xxxx

bit
but on other computers it jumbles up each one so the names dont match

the
actual drive.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here - what gets jumbled?

B machine has D:scsi dump E:scsi 8gb F:4gb scsi is what there named
but when i view from the other computer it may say D:scsi 8gb etc

......maybe its me, the meds i take means i forget things in seconds.

Makes life more interesting - do something, forget about it, go to do it
again and it's already done :-) Although I find I more often forget to
do things in the first place :-(

yup been there!

snip
I do notice that the only machine with XP takes a while to open folders

on
the other pc's, several seconds compared to much less with the others, i
know the the specs of the nics abiet that one, which is 100mb. A and C

are
straight to the router, B goes thru a 10mb hub.

There does seem to be an issue with sharing between the Win9X and WinNT
families - I assume it's something to do with authentication methods, but
I've never bothered to look further into it.

Its a bit of a pain, as when i want to do something i have to twiddle my
thumbs and wait, then when ITS ready i forgot what i wanted to do in the
first place!

Old October 17th 03, 12:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Julian Hales [email protected] wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Julian Hales [email protected] wrote:
snip
yes thats what i did, but there mixed up, as 3 are scsi of various sizes

name them 'scsi xxxx' but each has diff gb and its metioned in the xxxx

bit
but on other computers it jumbles up each one so the names dont match

the
actual drive.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here - what gets jumbled?

B machine has D:scsi dump E:scsi 8gb F:4gb scsi is what there named
but when i view from the other computer it may say D:scsi 8gb etc

Still not quite sure what you're saying, and you don't say which OSs
you're using - with Win9X local drives/partitions are allocated in a
specific order, while with WinNT you can use the disk administrator to
shuffle them around. When you mount a share you can specify the mount
point (local drive letter) - you can even mount a share on the machine
that's sharing it. So if you wanted each share to be mounted in the same
place on each machine then you could do it, apart from the system drives.
Of course NFS under UNIX/Linux is more powerful, flexible and secure, but
I don't know of any NFS freeware that works seamlessly under Windows.