Increasing peer to peer LAN bandwidth

Old October 15th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Hemmings

Default Increasing peer to peer LAN bandwidth

I have a couple of systems each of which has three 100Mbps full
duplex ethernet ports.
Is it possible to use all three (using three X-over cables) simultaneously
to effectively give me a 300Mbps link? I'm only interested in
speeding-up file transfer between the two machines (huge DV files).
OS is XP Pro.
If this isn't possible, both mobo's have firewire ports, but the shortest
cable I could get away with is 7m, and AIUI, firewire is limited to 5m -
has anyone successfully used firewire networking with a single cable
longer than 5m (ie without using a firewire repeater)? I believe I
could achieve about 400Mbps using firewire networking, or have I
missed something?
Any help/pointers much appreciated.
--
Rob

Old October 15th 03, 07:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Walker

Rob Hemmings wrote:
I have a couple of systems each of which has three 100Mbps full
duplex ethernet ports.
Is it possible to use all three (using three X-over cables)
simultaneously to effectively give me a 300Mbps link? I'm only
interested in speeding-up file transfer between the two machines
(huge DV files).
OS is XP Pro.
If this isn't possible, both mobo's have firewire ports, but the
shortest cable I could get away with is 7m, and AIUI, firewire is
limited to 5m - has anyone successfully used firewire networking
with a single cable longer than 5m (ie without using a firewire
repeater)? I believe I
could achieve about 400Mbps using firewire networking, or have I
missed something?
Any help/pointers much appreciated.

How about changing to Gigabit cards - e-Buyer code 51593 only 21 each,
seems easier and faster?

Old October 15th 03, 08:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Rob Hemmings" wrote in
:

I have a couple of systems each of which has three 100Mbps full
duplex ethernet ports.
Is it possible to use all three (using three X-over cables)
simultaneously to effectively give me a 300Mbps link? I'm only
interested in speeding-up file transfer between the two machines
(huge DV files). OS is XP Pro.
If this isn't possible, both mobo's have firewire ports, but the
shortest cable I could get away with is 7m, and AIUI, firewire
is limited to 5m - has anyone successfully used firewire
networking with a single cable longer than 5m (ie without using
a firewire repeater)? I believe I could achieve about 400Mbps
using firewire networking, or have I missed something?
Any help/pointers much appreciated.
--
Rob

Might be wise to check whether the link speed is the bottleneck
before you invest effort and cash. Try monitoring the bandwidth
used with XP's Performance Monitor when doing a file transfer to
check it out.

--
BRG
===
Old October 15th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jonathan Buzzard

In article ,
"Steve Walker" writes:

[SNIP]

How about changing to Gigabit cards - e-Buyer code 51593 only 21 each,
seems easier and faster?

Does anyone sell gigabit crossover cables?

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195
Old October 15th 03, 11:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

"BRG" wrote in message
"Rob Hemmings" wrote in
:

[...]

It's not that much of a problem (current single 100Mbps link is close
to the theoretical max.), more of an ergonomic thing. I'll sit there and
wait for a couple of minutes, but 8+..
--
Rob

Old October 16th 03, 10:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:02:16 GMT, BRG
wrote:

I have a couple of systems each of which has three 100Mbps full
duplex ethernet ports.

Is it possible to use all three (using three X-over cables)
simultaneously to effectively give me a 300Mbps link?

Might be wise to check whether the link speed is the bottleneck
before you invest effort and cash. Try monitoring the bandwidth
used with XP's Performance Monitor when doing a file transfer to
check it out.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of XP's performance monitor.

For what it's worth I recently tested a file transfer (10MB) over
wireless between a XP Home machine and a 98 1st edition machine.

The XP had a 54mbps card but the sending unit had a 11mbps card so I
would have assumed transfer would have been at 11mbps.

Anyway XP's network monitor showed the transfer at between 24/36 mbps
with an occasional 48mbps

I timed the file transfer and 10MB took 61 seconds which equals about
1.3mbps and good old SYSMON on the Win98 machine showed a KB per
second rate as around 187 which in mbps is about 1.4

Obviously the timing is the best guide, SYSMON gives a similar reading
and XP's Network Monitor is well out.

Geoff Lane

Old October 16th 03, 02:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Rob Hemmings wrote:
I have a couple of systems each of which has three 100Mbps full
duplex ethernet ports.
Is it possible to use all three (using three X-over cables) simultaneously
to effectively give me a 300Mbps link? I'm only interested in
speeding-up file transfer between the two machines (huge DV files).
OS is XP Pro.

I wonder if you could do it this way:

Set the IP address of each interface to a different subnet.
Modify the routing tables so that each interface routes to only one
interface on the other machine (the one it's physically connected to).
Run a FTP server on the machine that has the file.
Run a FTP client on each of the local interfaces to pull different
file segments from the other machine (I don't know if anything is
available off-the-shelf that can do this).
Sit back and listen to the disk on the server thrashing.
Join the segments to recreate the original file.

Seems like a load of hassle though. Actually it sounds like a fun
project for an ICS student.
Old October 16th 03, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Hemmings

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Rob Hemmings wrote:
[...]

Ta for the input. Yeah, it does sound like a lot of hassle, but you've
given me food for thought. I don't see why it can't be done entirely
in software, but my old brain is now long past being able to program
a new (I think) transport layer (last thing I wrote was in Modula-2!)
Might get in touch with our Computing Science dept. and suggest it
as a project for someone though!
Cheers,
--
Rob

Old October 16th 03, 05:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Hemmings

"Ian McConnell" wrote in message
"Rob Hemmings" writes:

I have a couple of systems each of which has three 100Mbps full
duplex ethernet ports.
Is it possible to use all three (using three X-over cables)

simultaneously
to effectively give me a 300Mbps link? I'm only interested in
speeding-up file transfer between the two machines (huge DV files).
OS is XP Pro.
If this isn't possible, both mobo's have firewire ports, but the

shortest
cable I could get away with is 7m, and AIUI, firewire is limited to 5m -
has anyone successfully used firewire networking with a single cable
longer than 5m (ie without using a firewire repeater)? I believe I
could achieve about 400Mbps using firewire networking, or have I
missed something?
Any help/pointers much appreciated.

Is this any use?
http://heroinewarrior.com/firehose.php3

Super fast throughput over cheap ethernet.

One day while waiting 3 hours for a movie to transfer you stared teary

eyed
at some dual ethernet ports and wondered if they could be somehow

combined
for ultra high speed file transfers.

FIREHOSE gives you that power. FIREHOSE gives you a basic data transfer

over
multiple network devices supporting TCP/IP layers. Stripe multiple

100Mbit,
Gigabit, 10 Gigabit, or firewire to give one humungous pipe for

firehosing
your gigabytes and gigabytes of data.

Unlike RAID striping, FIREHOSE striping load balances the network

devices so
every ounce of bandwidth is utilized. Combine a 400Mbit firewire eth

device
with a 100Mbit eth device to get 500Mbits of power. Combine 10 100Mbit
ethernet ports for a gigabit pipe. The number of devices which can be
striped is limited only by imagination and budget.

Thanks, Ian - very interesting! I'm not averse to linux, so I'll take a
look at
that as it still might be significantly quicker even if I have to reboot
into linux,
transfer the DV files, then reboot into XP. 13GB (1 hour of DV) takes quite
some time over a 100Mbps full duplex link!
Nice one.
--
Rob