Networking 3 home machines, (Me, XP and XP)

Old October 15th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Matt

Default Networking 3 home machines, (Me, XP and XP)

Hi, I have a Win Me machine - to which I am looking to add a 10/100 Ethernet
card.
I also have a machine running Win XP Home Edition, with a fitted 10/100
card.

I plan to buy a laptop PC, (without any form of card although presumably I
can buy a PCMCIA network card??).

My questions are :
Can I network these three machines and share resources ?
What sort of kit do I need in order to achieve this ?(hub/routers/cables
etc)
Is it possible that I can use resources (printers, scanners etc.) connected
to the main computer (presume the XP base station) from any of the linked
computers and also use (from any of the machines) a broadband connection
which is linked to the main machine ?

I appreciate there are many questions here. Any and all help is gratefully
received.

Kind Regards
Matt

Old October 15th 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Matt" wrote in
:

[...]

Suggest you go for a router-based solution. Most routers
incorporate a 4-port switch and provide DHCP server and basic
firewall functionality.

Broadband
modem---------Router
| | |
A B C

You'll need 1 UTP patch cable per PC. The cable between Router and
modem is also UTP - may need to be crossover, depending on the
particular modem. If it's ADSL broadband, check the modem has an
Ethernet interface or consider a router with built-in ADSL modem.

--
BRG
===
Old October 15th 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Matt wrote:
Hi, I have a Win Me machine - to which I am looking to add a 10/100
Ethernet card.
I also have a machine running Win XP Home Edition, with a fitted
10/100 card.

I plan to buy a laptop PC, (without any form of card although
presumably I can buy a PCMCIA network card??).

My questions are :
Can I network these three machines and share resources ?
What sort of kit do I need in order to achieve this
?(hub/routers/cables etc)
Is it possible that I can use resources (printers, scanners etc.)
connected to the main computer (presume the XP base station) from any
of the linked computers and also use (from any of the machines) a
broadband connection which is linked to the main machine ?

Do you have ADSL or Cable?
Either way you just need a suitable 4 port router into which you plug your
broadband modem (if you have USB adsl then get a Modem/router combined) and
all your client PCs using normal Cat5 Patch leads.

Sell all three machines to obtain an IP address automatically and one will
be provided by your router and thats pretty much it to get net access on all
machines and doing it this way you only need one machine on.
If you have the modem connected into one PC then you would need to leave
that on all the time you are browsing on any machine.

Make all three machines part of the same workgroup if you want to share
files between them , then its just a case of sharing a folder or drive which
is done by right clicking and following the obvious instructions

--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old October 15th 03, 10:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Matt
writes
Hi, I have a Win Me machine - to which I am looking to add a 10/100 Ethernet
card.
I also have a machine running Win XP Home Edition, with a fitted 10/100
card.

I plan to buy a laptop PC, (without any form of card although presumably I
can buy a PCMCIA network card??).

My questions are :
Can I network these three machines and share resources ?

Yes.

What sort of kit do I need in order to achieve this ?(hub/routers/cables
etc)

A hub or a switch and a patch-cable for each machine. While you have
only two machines you can connect them using a crossover cable but as
soon as you add a third machine you need either a hub or a switch.

Is it possible that I can use resources (printers, scanners etc.) connected
to the main computer (presume the XP base station) from any of the linked
computers and also use (from any of the machines) a broadband connection
which is linked to the main machine ?

Yes you can share printers. I don't think you can share scanners, but
you could use the scanner on machine A and put the files in a shared
folder also accessible from B and C.

As has already been suggested, a better way to share a broadband
connection is to use a router. You can buy a combined router and switch.
So the best option is probably to use a crossover cable until you get
the third machine and then to buy a router/switch.

--
Bernard Peek

Old October 16th 03, 03:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Miller

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

I've got the same mix of OS's . Don't expect much from ME-XP/ XP-ME file
transfer speeds - there is seemingly some issue in the ME IP stack - it
works just v slowly - that said its perfectly OK for opening the odd file -
just no good for transferring GB about the place.

XP-XP flies though.

I.

Old October 16th 03, 05:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Automated Zero

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Matt wrote:
[...]

There must be an easier way to get an IP address

Old October 19th 03, 09:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Webmaster

Matt reckoned that:
Hi, I have a Win Me machine - to which I am looking to add a 10/100 Ethernet
card.
I also have a machine running Win XP Home Edition, with a fitted 10/100
card.

I plan to buy a laptop PC, (without any form of card although presumably I
can buy a PCMCIA network card??).

My questions are :
Can I network these three machines and share resources ?

Of course.

What sort of kit do I need in order to achieve this ?(hub/routers/cables
etc)

At the very least a hub, and three lengths of CAT5 cable. For a bit more
speed go for a switch (handles up to 100Mbps). For total freedom go for
wireless Access point and 3 wirless network cards (PCI or USB for the
desktops and PCMCIA for the laptop)

Is it possible that I can use resources (printers, scanners etc.) connected
to the main computer (presume the XP base station) from any of the linked
computers and also use (from any of the machines) a broadband connection
which is linked to the main machine ?

Printer yes, scanner I'm not sure.

For broadband aswell get yourself a combined box (ADLS modem, router,
switch, wireless access point for wireless installation)

I appreciate there are many questions here. Any and all help is gratefully
received.

Have a smiliar setup to yours, just purchased a Netgear DG824M to bring it
all together.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Motorola remote unlocking - 10 (includes A920 on '3')