Sharing an Internet Connection Using Wirless Technology

Old October 16th 03, 06:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

Default Sharing an Internet Connection Using Wirless Technology

A friend is trying to set up a wireless network at home consisting of 2 pc's
running XP Home. He really only wants to share his broadband connection.

He's asked me to take a look at it but I although I've set up plenty of
wired networks and configured routers etc, I've no experience of Wireless
set-ups.

What is the basic equipment needed. Can it be done with the equivalent of 2
NIC Ethernet cards and a crossover cable (with the first PC connected by
cable to the modem), or does it involve more equipment??

Any help greatly appreciated...

Derek

Old October 16th 03, 07:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

Default Sharing an Internet Connection Using Wireless Technology

That should have read WIRELESS technology....

Derek

Old October 17th 03, 01:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:55:55 +0100, "Derek"
wrote:

A friend is trying to set up a wireless network at home consisting of 2 pc's
running XP Home. He really only wants to share his broadband connection.

He's asked me to take a look at it but I although I've set up plenty of
wired networks and configured routers etc, I've no experience of Wireless
set-ups.

What is the basic equipment needed. Can it be done with the equivalent of 2
NIC Ethernet cards and a crossover cable (with the first PC connected by
cable to the modem), or does it involve more equipment??

Any help greatly appreciated...

Both machines obviously need a wireless card, about 40 to 50 ukp each.

They can then connect what is knows as Peer to peer, which is like
using a cross over wire.

If you need to increase the network then an access point needs to be
purchased (About 80ukp).

Relatively straight forward but don't believe what it says on the box
re range, they are wildely optimistic and you can lose a signal being
in the next room. However, I have been sixty feet away at the top of
my garden surfing the net via a machine in the house.

Geoff Lane

Old October 19th 03, 11:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Webmaster

Derek reckoned that:
He's asked me to take a look at it but I although I've set up plenty of
wired networks and configured routers etc, I've no experience of Wireless
set-ups.

What is the basic equipment needed. Can it be done with the equivalent of 2
NIC Ethernet cards and a crossover cable (with the first PC connected by
cable to the modem), or does it involve more equipment??

Any help greatly appreciated...

A combined wireless access point/router/ADSL modem/firewall is the way to
go.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Motorola remote unlocking - 10 (includes A920 on '3')