Blueyonder self install?

Old October 17th 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DrizzlyBritman

Default Blueyonder self install?

I seem to remeber BY saying you could install BB by yourself for 12.50.
All you have to do is connect your cat5e cable to the port in your set
top box and the other to your PC, then phone them up and they will
activate the built in modem in yout STB.

Anyone have any more info on this?
Old October 18th 03, 12:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clive

"DrizzlyBritman" wrote in message ...
I seem to remeber BY saying you could install BB by yourself for 12.50.
All you have to do is connect your cat5e cable to the port in your set
top box and the other to your PC, then phone them up and they will
activate the built in modem in yout STB.

Anyone have any more info on this?

Blueyonder used to be taken from the set top box via a TV style coaxial connection to the modem, it can now be done via the cat 5 cable from the set top box (blueyonder technicians as far as I know still install via the coaxial cable), then connect the modem to a PC via either cat5 cable (to a network card) or a USB cable to the PC.

I never knew you could ask for them to send the broadband modem, set it up yourself and they will reduce the fee?

I know I can recommend someone, then the person gets a discount on installation (not sure of the cost, have heard it is half price or maybe less possibly just ?5.00).

If you want me to find out, please email me

--
Clive
www.SwaleComputers.co.uk

---
Old October 18th 03, 01:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Clark

www.selfinstall.myby.co.uk

Old October 18th 03, 07:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clansman

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:01:15 +0100, "Clive"
wrote:

"DrizzlyBritman" wrote in message ...
I seem to remeber BY saying you could install BB by yourself for 12.50.
All you have to do is connect your cat5e cable to the port in your set
top box and the other to your PC, then phone them up and they will
activate the built in modem in yout STB.

Anyone have any more info on this?

Blueyonder used to be taken from the set top box via a TV style coaxial connection to the modem, it can now be done via the cat 5 cable from the set top box (blueyonder technicians as far as I know still install via the coaxial cable), then connect the modem to a PC via either cat5 cable (to a network card) or a USB cable to the PC.

I never knew you could ask for them to send the broadband modem, set it up yourself and they will reduce the fee?

They don't `send' you a cable modem. The connection goes from the STB direct
to your PC, without a cable modem. The self install `wired' kit contains
20mtrs of Cat5e and an ethernet - usb converter. But, you can plug the
ethernet straight in to your NIC. The ethenet - usb converter is in case
there is no on-board NIC

I've just `gone' digital and my STB has both RJ45 and USB connectors on the
back.

Clansman

Old October 18th 03, 11:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DrizzlyBritman

Thanks guy's. This isn't for me, my bro might be getting it installed
and I wanted to know about the self install thing. Now I know you can, I
cam run a cat5e cable along the floor to where he has his PC before he
puts his wooded floor down.
Old October 19th 03, 10:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

wrote:

[...]

Of course if you don't have digital TV and are just getting the broadband
connection then you get a stand alone Cable modem with coax in and RJ45 out.

--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old October 19th 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Groves

In article ,
DrizzlyBritman writes
Thanks guy's. This isn't for me, my bro might be getting it installed
and I wanted to know about the self install thing. Now I know you can, I
cam run a cat5e cable along the floor to where he has his PC before he
puts his wooded floor down.

Why bother, installation is free during October. The full installation
will include an engineer running another connection from the outside box
to wherever you want it in the house, and supply of a cable modem to
attach to it, which is surely a much more flexible solution than using
the STB?
--
Toby