5 PC network sharing broadband connection

Old October 18th 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sam69

Default 5 PC network sharing broadband connection

I have five pc's, 5 ethernet cards (10/100), a four port D-link hub, 1
broardband connection and a motorola surfboard cable modem.

Most importantly I wish to share the internet connection and have a
budget of 150, secondly I would like to be able to share files
between the pc's.

I am thinking of buying a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router - IP
Router 8port 10/100 from ebuyer.com for 70 inc postage and picking up
a 100m of cat 10 cable or so, some connectors and a crimping tool.

Does this sound sensible? Can anyone recommend a good place to pick up
the cable and tool?

Have thought about setting up a linux box to be a router or having a
wireless network but I don't have that much time to tinker to set it
up at the moment and wireless networking still seems a bit new and
daunting to me.

Many thanks, Sam
Old October 18th 03, 09:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

Sam69 wrote:

[...]

For your network cable just pop down to your local B&Q Superstore and
buy a couple of Network Cabling Starter kits which last time I looked
were on offer for 27 pounds it contains punch down tool, cat 5 cable, 4
wall sockets and 4 patch leads and a very good set of instructions, you
will need extra patch leads and wall sockets but it should be enough to
get you starter. Maplin also sell similar kits -- Note price vary
depending if it is on special offer normally it would be 37 pounds.

Old October 18th 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil

In article , auto459372
@hush.com says...
I have five pc's, 5 ethernet cards (10/100), a four port D-link hub, 1
broardband connection and a motorola surfboard cable modem.

Most importantly I wish to share the internet connection and have a
budget of 150, secondly I would like to be able to share files
between the pc's.

I am thinking of buying a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router - IP
Router 8port 10/100 from ebuyer.com for 70 inc postage and picking up
a 100m of cat 10 cable or so, some connectors and a crimping tool.

Does this sound sensible? Can anyone recommend a good place to pick up
the cable and tool?

Quick & dirty response - B&Q have Cat5e 50m lenngths for under 10 (100m
pro rata cheaper) and have RJ45 plugs for under 4 for ten (was about 2
but they've gone up). DON'T buy the crimping tool there - it's 50+.
(B&Q = www.diy.com)

I hate to say this but PC World have it for 15 or less.
I think if you hunt around you'll find cheaper but if B&Q and PCW are on
your doorstep and you want to do it soon ....

Old October 18th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nicholas F Hodder

"Phil" wrote in message

Quick & dirty response - B&Q have Cat5e 50m lenngths for under 10 (100m
pro rata cheaper) and have RJ45 plugs for under 4 for ten (was about 2
but they've gone up). DON'T buy the crimping tool there - it's 50+.
(B&Q = www.diy.com)

I hate to say this but PC World have it for 15 or less.
I think if you hunt around you'll find cheaper but if B&Q and PCW are on
your doorstep and you want to do it soon ....

Redstore.com sell most of this stuff for a lot less. For example, the 304m
beige cable reel is 24.44 and a pack of 10 RJ45 plugs is 79p. Their
crimping tool is 6.