Password required to access files on network - but passwords never set?

Old October 19th 03, 09:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Webmaster

Default Password required to access files on network - but passwords never set?

HI,

Have a laptop with ME and a desktop with XP Pro.

Network is set up properly, pings are all fine etc, each machine can see
the other.

From the XP desktop I can access fiels on the laptop, but from the laptop
trying to access the desktop I get prompted for a password. I have never
set passwords, and right-clicking teh drive and looking at 'sharing and
security' there is no space to input a password, and teh 'allow network
users to change my files' box is ticked.

Any ideas?
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Motorola remote unlocking - 10 (includes A920 on '3')
Old October 19th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

Webmaster wrote:

HI,

Have a laptop with ME and a desktop with XP Pro.

Network is set up properly, pings are all fine etc, each machine can see
the other.

From the XP desktop I can access fiels on the laptop, but from the laptop
trying to access the desktop I get prompted for a password. I have never
set passwords, and right-clicking teh drive and looking at 'sharing and
security' there is no space to input a password, and teh 'allow network
users to change my files' box is ticked.

You need to set up the user name (and NO password) on the laptop to be the same as on
the XP box, then you'll be able to get access without the password prompt.

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old October 20th 03, 07:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Webmaster

Andrew Sayers reckoned that:
From the XP desktop I can access fiels on the laptop, but from the laptop
trying to access the desktop I get prompted for a password. I have never
set passwords, and right-clicking teh drive and looking at 'sharing and
security' there is no space to input a password, and teh 'allow network
users to change my files' box is ticked.

You need to set up the user name (and NO password) on the laptop to be the same as on
the XP box, then you'll be able to get access without the password prompt.

Hi, to which usernam do you refer? If you refer to the windows username
they are the same.
Old October 20th 03, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

Webmaster wrote:
HI,

Have a laptop with ME and a desktop with XP Pro.

Network is set up properly, pings are all fine etc, each machine can
see the other.

From the XP desktop I can access fiels on the laptop, but from the
laptop trying to access the desktop I get prompted for a password. I
have never set passwords, and right-clicking teh drive and looking at
'sharing and security' there is no space to input a password, and teh
'allow network users to change my files' box is ticked.

Any ideas?

You have to create a user account (with or without password) on the XP
machine - XP and 2K insist on authentication for sharing... this is a
usefull security feature....
Goto Control Panel, Computer management, Users and Groups, Users - create a
new user....

Guy

Old October 20th 03, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Webmaster" wrote in message
HI,

Have a laptop with ME and a desktop with XP Pro.

Network is set up properly, pings are all fine etc, each machine can see
the other.

From the XP desktop I can access fiels on the laptop, but from the laptop
trying to access the desktop I get prompted for a password. I have never
set passwords, and right-clicking teh drive and looking at 'sharing and
security' there is no space to input a password, and teh 'allow network
users to change my files' box is ticked.

Any ideas?

It's basically the XP box asking the laptop "who are you?". Is the guest
account enabled or disabled?

Marcus

Old October 20th 03, 10:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Webmaster

Marcus Fox reckoned that:
It's basically the XP box asking the laptop "who are you?". Is the guest
account enabled or disabled?

I'm not sure. Where on the XP machine would I check or set this up? It may
be something I have done a long time ago which has come back to haunt me!
Old October 21st 03, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Webmaster" wrote in message
Marcus Fox reckoned that:
It's basically the XP box asking the laptop "who are you?". Is the guest
account enabled or disabled?

I'm not sure. Where on the XP machine would I check or set this up? It may
be something I have done a long time ago which has come back to haunt me!

Control Panel User Accounts...

Don't know if this would work, it's only a hunch.

Marcus