DSL-504 ADSL Router with HP Laserjet

Old October 20th 03, 10:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim Storey

Default DSL-504 ADSL Router with HP Laserjet

Hi,

I have a DSL-504 Router with 4 network ports. How do I get a Laserjet
4 plus to work with the 2 computers on it. Do I just plug in the
network cable from the router to the printer?

Thanks for any help,

Jim.
Old October 20th 03, 09:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Jim Storey wrote:

Hi,

I have a DSL-504 Router with 4 network ports. How do I get a Laserjet
4 plus to work with the 2 computers on it. Do I just plug in the
network cable from the router to the printer?

Assuming the printer is equipped with a JetDirect card, yes. If it
isn't, you can get them quite cheaply on eBay but make sure you get the
right sort - there are two different ones and I am not sure which the 4+
takes. And ensure it's ethernet - there are token ring ones available
too and these are completely useless to 99.9% of home users.

You'll want to set a permanant IP address on the printer, rather than
use DHCP. I think the 4+ has a control panel on the printer itself so
this isn't hard. Ensure that the router (assuming it contains a DHCP
server) will not give out this address to another client.

What operating systems do these computers run? The Windows 9x series
cannot drive network printers direct without add-on software. The
NT/2K/XP series and all UNIX like systems like Linux can. MacOSX can but
I'm not sure about the older versions. As long as you have at least one
system which can drive the printer, you can use it as a server for the
other if it cannot.

Regards, Ian