Audio setup for home office

Old October 22nd 03, 03:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

Default Audio setup for home office

Can anybody recommend an audio setup for my home office which would allow me
to hear 5.1 audio from my PC, CD's from my PC, and radio? My PC has 5.1
optical output.

So, I could buy a radio card for the PC, together with a 5.1 amplifier and
have the whole thing controlled from the PC. Alternatively I could look out
for a cheap home cinema amp/dvd player which has built-in radio, and just
use the PC as an aux input to it. Having a non-PC controlled volume control
does seem an advantage.

Anybody have any opinions?

I'd like to keep the budget to under 200 if I can.

Cheers
Ian.

Old October 22nd 03, 03:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Ian Mayo wrote:
snip

Anybody have any opinions?

This has nothing to do with networking.
Old October 22nd 03, 04:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...

This has nothing to do with networking.

Sorry Rob, got a little carried away - this is such an active newsgroup,
full of real experts.

I fired a related question back on the 2nd Sept (cable recommendations for
home network), and got such good quality replies it seemed natural to fire a
supplemental question here again.

Hey, shan't do it again....

Ian

Old October 22nd 03, 05:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Ian Mayo wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...

This has nothing to do with networking.

Sorry Rob, got a little carried away - this is such an active newsgroup,
full of real experts.

I fired a related question back on the 2nd Sept (cable recommendations for
home network), and got such good quality replies it seemed natural to fire a
supplemental question here again.

It would be less off-topic in uk.comp.homebuilt, and you could probably
get away with it in uk.adverts.computer if you phrased it as a "want to
buy" post. Both active groups, both contain their fair share of experts
(you'll have to filter out some noise from idiots though).
Old October 22nd 03, 08:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

Thanks Rob,

my queries have been related to a new home office going in the loft. I've
posted other questions in uk.d-i-y, and after re-posting this query there
I've had some satisfactory answers.

Cheers,
Ian

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Ian Mayo wrote:
.com...

Old October 23rd 03, 02:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor Turton

In article ,
says...
"Conor Turton" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

POINTLESS.

CDs..2 channel stereo. Radio, 2 channel stereo. What the hell is the
point in using 5.1 for this?

To be honest Conor, games. I look forward to sneaking around first-person
games then suddenly hear a burst of gunfire from behind me. Aaah, now
they're to the left of me, take cover! We're all in for it now!

Ahhhhhh....you never mentinoed those.

Get yourself along to
www.richersounds.co.uk and take a look at their
range of amps. If there's a shop near you go pay a visit. Take a GOOOD
look at their second user stock as it's usually in as new condition and
they give a warranty for a year. Got myself a Panasonic amp with built
in 5.1 decoder and RDS radio, 5 panasonic speakers and a base cab for
300. Sounds very nice, got two optical ins and a bucketload of other
inputs too.

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old October 23rd 03, 04:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

Get yourself along to www.richersounds.co.uk and take a look at their
range of amps. If there's a shop near you go pay a visit. Take a GOOOD
look at their second user stock as it's usually in as new condition and
they give a warranty for a year. Got myself a Panasonic amp with built
in 5.1 decoder and RDS radio, 5 panasonic speakers and a base cab for
300. Sounds very nice, got two optical ins and a bucketload of other
inputs too.

Thanks for the Conor, you're setup sounds just like what I'm after.

Maybe I'll be heading over to richersounds just after xmas to see what
second user stock they've had in part-ex for new stuff which has just gone
out.

Cheers,
Ian.