Home/remote Wireless broadband - where to start?

Old October 23rd 03, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ben Nunn

Default Home/remote Wireless broadband - where to start?

Hi,

Looking for advice on what gear to buy to achieve my desired result.

Currently have a desktop PC with an Alcatel ADSL modem and 512k broadband
from Pipex.

Within the next month, we'll be getting two laptops - one will be a brand
new company-supplied high-spec Dell Latitude 1.7Ghz Mobile Pentium, the
other will be a second-hand lower spec machine.

I'd like to buy a wireless network card so I can share the broadband
connection (and local files on the desktop machine) with the two laptops.
The two laptops WON'T need to talk to each other, just to the desktop and
the web.

I also require both laptops to be able to access the web from public
wireless hotspots. It's possible the Dell laptop will arrive with a wireless
card anyway - don't know the full spec yet.

O/S will be XP Pro all round.

So... what hardware will I need to get all this working? I'm new to this
wireless stuff. TIA for any assistance.

Cheers

BTN

Old October 24th 03, 09:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

Assuming the ADSL modem connects to the PC via USB....

Your best bet is.....
an ADSL modem/router and a Wirless Access Point (WAP) - most flexibility in
positioning of WAP for best signal.
OR an ADSL Wireless modem/router - cheaper 'one box' solution
Plus wireless card/cards for the laptops.

You can either get 802.11b (11Mb - cheapest) or 802.11g (54Mb - later kit)
kit - either is faster than your ADSL connection......

See Draytek, D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo and others....

Guy