Workaround for ADSL microfilter not working

Old October 23rd 03, 01:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

Default Workaround for ADSL microfilter not working

Hi all,
I've got a bog-standard BT ADSL line. The nice chap at BT put in a little
box above the main phone socket down in the hall, laid the cable along the
wall, through the ceiling to an ADSL network point in the home office.

The home office is now going up a floor into the loft. Moving a phone
extension into the loft is easy, so I'm experimenting with a little ADSL
microfilter socket.

Plugging it into my phone extension cable, then plugging my Alcatel frog
into that isn't working. Am I right in thinking that the BT chap's box down
on the ground floor has already remove the ADSL comms from the phone line,
and that there's nothing for my microfilter to see? If so, should I mess
with the little BT box downstairs and try to remove the BT chap's ADSL
splitter?

Will I then be able to just plug my Alcatel frog into my ADSL microfilter,
and that into a normal phone extension?

Thanks in advance,
Ian Mayo

Old October 23rd 03, 02:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor Turton

In article ,
says...
[...]

The filter is FOR THE PHONE, not the modem. It filters out the high
frequency hiss that the ADSL uses. So therefore you're spot on in your
assumption BUT you should be able to remove the front plate and crimp
the wires onto the back of it. Whatever you do DO NOT attach anything
to the side where the line comes into the house.

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old October 23rd 03, 04:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
A hah! That explains why the ADSL microfilter won't work when plugging it
Have I got that right Conor?

Cheers,
Ian

No, hold on. If I avoid using the filter at the point where the line enters
the house, I'll have ADSL "noise" on the other internal phone lines, won't
I?

Cheers,
Ian

Old October 23rd 03, 04:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
A hah! That explains why the ADSL microfilter won't work when plugging

it
Have I got that right Conor?

No, hold on. If I avoid using the filter at the point where the line

enters
the house, I'll have ADSL "noise" on the other internal phone lines, won't
I?

Cheers,
Ian

Ah-ha!

Found a great entry on another newsgroup which has text-pictures showing me
what's happening.

http://tinyurl.com/s26r

OF COURSE my ADSL modem can't just plug into a phone extension. I've either
got to put a microfilter on every socket or extend the current ADSL line
into the loft (hmm, much easier....

Thanks again for your help,
Ian

Old October 23rd 03, 05:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:31:16 +0000, Ian Mayo wrote:

"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
A hah! That explains why the ADSL microfilter won't work when plugging it
Have I got that right Conor?

Cheers,
Ian

No, hold on. If I avoid using the filter at the point where the line enters
the house, I'll have ADSL "noise" on the other internal phone lines, won't
I?

Cheers,
Ian

Try using a microfilter in every socket that you have a phone in.
--
Neil
My address is Spamless.
Old October 23rd 03, 08:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
news[email protected] snet.com...
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:31:16 +0000, Ian Mayo wrote:

Cheers,
Ian

Try using a microfilter in every socket that you have a phone in.
--
Neil
My address is Spamless.

Thanks Neil,
but I only want ADSL output from one socket (the new one in the loft), but
I'd be putting splitters on all of the sockets. I'm trying to go for a
"tidy, professional" approach - and on reflection getting the phone lines
filtered at the main box with a separate cable heading off to the loft from
there seems tidiest.

Cheers,
Ian

Old October 23rd 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Automated Zero

"Ian Mayo" wrote in message

"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
news[email protected] snet.com...
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:31:16 +0000, Ian Mayo wrote:

Cheers,
Ian

Try using a microfilter in every socket that you have a phone in.
--
Neil
My address is Spamless.

Thanks Neil,
but I only want ADSL output from one socket (the new one in the loft), but
I'd be putting splitters on all of the sockets. I'm trying to go for a
"tidy, professional" approach - and on reflection getting the phone lines
filtered at the main box with a separate cable heading off to the loft

from
there seems tidiest.

What you are about to do is something I have just done last weekend, one
floor
up but not into the loft. BT installed the microfilter near my front door at
the master
box then ran an extension to my living room. An upstairs room became
available for
use, so I jumped at the chance to convert it to an office, I unwired and
moved
the BT extension box which is only 2 wires connected(taking note of the
colour coding)
and reconnected it upstairs after drilling a hole in the ceiling which er
indoors aint to
happy about and Bobs your uncle all is fine, It was actually easier than the
nightmare
I had in my mind built it up to be.

Old October 24th 03, 01:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tom Buchanan

"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
[...]

Once you apply a filter, you cannot extend the ADSL line. I would
suggest in your case extend the BT mainline to the loft , apply a filter,
connect ADSL line to modem.router. Then if you which to extend phone lined
downstairs run extensions from there, applying a filter at each connection.
HTH.

Tom Buchanan