works great but........

Old October 23rd 03, 11:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
selective override

Default works great but........

Unlike most, it would seem, I have had no big problems with ICS. I run
a host PC connected to BT broadband (Win ME), and two laptops (one ME
one XP) without all the hassle that some have, and ICS does the job.

However.....
My teenage daughter has a liking for certain resource-hungry games,
and she HAS to play these on the host PC because it has the best video
card. Some of these games cause ICS and sometimes the USB interface to
"lock-up", which buggers things up for the rest of the family.

The obvious solution to my problem (I hear you shout) is to buy a
router.... but:
The information from BT as I understand it is that the Alcatel
"squashed frog" modem is not compatible with a router. Can someone
confirm this?

If so, what modem do I need so that a router is a viable option?

I could I suppose adapt another, redundant PC to be the host, but that
would be rather a waste of space, and I would have to fit it with a
wireless adapter.

Or can anyone see another solution? (Getting rid of my daughter is not
one of them!)

thanks, steve

Old October 24th 03, 12:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Automated Zero

"selective override" wrote in message

[...]

Netgear DG814 modem cum router/switch
http://www.datecsys.co.uk/product.as...eferrer=kelkoo