syncing files

Old October 25th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dantes

Default syncing files

Hi

Is there a good bit of preferably free software that will allow me to
sync files between my laptop and desktop over the network. I keep ending
up transferring files between one or the other when I am away from home
and have lost the latest version of one or two files in this way.
Ideally it would allow me to select who directories to sync to the
latest version of a file and perhaps even back up the old files just
incase.

While I am on the subject is there a mail client that can handle
collecting mail on two PCs intelligently. So, for example, I can collect
mail while away from home on my laptop but when I sync with the home PC
the emails will update there. Further I would like my home PC to also
collect the mail so that there was no apparent difference between the
clinets, they just updated whenever they were back on the home network?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Cheers

Old October 25th 03, 07:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Kaley

I would highly recommend Second Copy 2000 from WWW.Centerd.com for
synching - I use it all the time for synchronising files between several
machines at home and work. It's $29.95, which I think is well worth it
(about 20).

Chris

.. .

Old October 25th 03, 07:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Dantes [email protected] wrote:
Hi

Is there a good bit of preferably free software that will allow me to
sync files between my laptop and desktop over the network. I keep ending
up transferring files between one or the other when I am away from home
and have lost the latest version of one or two files in this way.
Ideally it would allow me to select who directories to sync to the
latest version of a file and perhaps even back up the old files just
incase.

You already have it - it's called Briefcase.

Old October 25th 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dantes

Rob Morley wrote:

Dantes [email protected] wrote:

Hi

Is there a good bit of preferably free software that will allow me to
sync files between my laptop and desktop over the network. I keep ending
up transferring files between one or the other when I am away from home
and have lost the latest version of one or two files in this way.
Ideally it would allow me to select who directories to sync to the
latest version of a file and perhaps even back up the old files just
incase.

You already have it - it's called Briefcase.

Sorry, I should have said.
I use Mozilla for Web, news and email and Office XP.

Thanks

Old October 25th 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Rob Morley wrote:

Dantes [email protected] wrote:

Hi

Is there a good bit of preferably free software that will allow me to
sync files between my laptop and desktop over the network. I keep ending
up transferring files between one or the other when I am away from home
and have lost the latest version of one or two files in this way.
Ideally it would allow me to select who directories to sync to the
latest version of a file and perhaps even back up the old files just
incase.

You already have it - it's called Briefcase.

Sorry, I should have said.
I use Mozilla for Web, news and email and Office XP.

Briefcase will still work for simple file synch, and if you can figure
out which files Mozilla uses to store your mail you could probably do
that with briefcase too.
Old October 26th 03, 12:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dantes

Rob Morley wrote:

Dantes [email protected] wrote:

Hi

Is there a good bit of preferably free software that will allow me to
sync files between my laptop and desktop over the network. I keep ending
up transferring files between one or the other when I am away from home
and have lost the latest version of one or two files in this way.
Ideally it would allow me to select who directories to sync to the
latest version of a file and perhaps even back up the old files just
incase.

You already have it - it's called Briefcase.

Sorry, I should have said.
I use Mozilla for Web, news and email and Office XP.

Briefcase will still work for simple file synch, and if you can figure
out which files Mozilla uses to store your mail you could probably do
that with briefcase too.

Is that on the Office XP CD because it doesn't appear to be installed?

Cheers

Old October 26th 03, 12:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Rob Morley wrote:

[...]

It's part of Windows
(Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs -Windows Setup -Accessories)
When it's installed right-click in a folder and select New Briefcase.
Old October 27th 03, 07:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dantes

Rob Morley wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much
You know, you learn something new every day, I have installed Windows
2000 on about 30 PCs and never been aware of this!

Cheers

Old October 27th 03, 10:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 27 Oct
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Dantes [email protected] fornis do marikano
es bono tan el:

Thanks very much
You know, you learn something new every day, I have installed Windows
2000 on about 30 PCs and never been aware of this!

It used to be installed as default (and even had an icon on the desktop) in
Windows 95 and 98 first edition - the icon went with 98SE and it has since
been a non-default extra.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge