Wireless help needed.

Old October 25th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MongolHunter

Default Wireless help needed.

I currently have a win2000 server running ICS which acts as a firewall /
file server etc. The server does what it needs to and allows the 2 PCs
connected via cabling to connect to the internet. The problem I have is that
I want to add wireless to this setup. The server has replaced an old
Wireless Router that stopped working however I would prefer it if the
wireless connection came from one of the PCs connected to the server rather
than the server itself.

I have a laptop and a desktop with the Netgear MA401 PCMCIA network
adapters. (The desktop has a PCI - PCMCIA card). The PC that has the
internet connection is using a Belkin Wireless USB Network Adapter (Ver.
100).

I am completely clueless as to how to connect these up. Currently they are
all on the same SSID, all on infrastructure mode and everything else is set
to auto basically. No WEP etc.

The laptop is running win98 SE, the two desktops are both running winXP SP1.

I have a feeling the reason this is all not working is that I need to buy an
access point or another router.

Cheers, Dan

Old October 25th 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Mac

"MongolHunter" wrote in message

I am completely clueless as to how to connect these up. Currently they are
all on the same SSID, all on **infrastructure mode ** and everything else

is set
to auto basically. No WEP etc.

That's the problem. If you are not using an access point or router, then
they will need to be in ad-hoc mode.

I have a feeling the reason this is all not working is that I need to buy

an
access point or another router.

That would work also.

Old October 25th 03, 10:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MongolHunter

Tony Mac wrote:
"MongolHunter" wrote in message

I am completely clueless as to how to connect these up. Currently
they are all on the same SSID, all on **infrastructure mode ** and
everything else is set to auto basically. No WEP etc.

That's the problem. If you are not using an access point or router,
then they will need to be in ad-hoc mode.

I have a feeling the reason this is all not working is that I need
to buy an access point or another router.

That would work also.

Yeah, sorry, I have realised that from looking at previous posts that I need
to have them in adhoc mode but unfortunatly this is also not working. Range
isn't an issue as I have the laptop next to the Belkin USB Wireless Adapter.