Wired Wireless Network

Old October 26th 03, 03:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Balloon

Default Wired Wireless Network

Hi all,

I currently have a home network running off a Netgear DG814 router. I use
my laptop with the router with good ol' ethernet cable, however I fancy
going wireless, but at the cheapest possible price.

I've seen a WLAN card for £20 from Maplin, however what could I do about the
router? I'd prefer not to fork out £100ish to replace it with a wireless
one. Is there some sort of device that'd connect to the router to provide
wireless access? Kind of like adding a hub to give me more ethernet ports,
but instead of them being wired, have them wireless?

Hope that made sense.. it's 4am ;-)

Cheers.

Old October 26th 03, 09:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

What I beleive you can do is if you only want to have one wireless client,
simply put a wireless card in an existing PC and create a bridge between the
two networks. This is an ad-hoc wireless setup, which only works between 2
machines.

Not sure about wireless hubs but maybe someone else can lighten your
darkness??

Old October 26th 03, 03:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Balloon

George Hewitt wrote:
What I beleive you can do is if you only want to have one wireless
client, simply put a wireless card in an existing PC and create a
bridge between the two networks. This is an ad-hoc wireless setup,
which only works between 2 machines.

Not sure about wireless hubs but maybe someone else can lighten your
darkness??

Hi George,

Thanks for that.. Possibly something I'll look into.

Old October 29th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stu Duckworth

Hi all,

I currently have a home network running off a Netgear DG814 router. I use
my laptop with the router with good ol' ethernet cable, however I fancy
going wireless, but at the cheapest possible price.

I've seen a WLAN card for £20 from Maplin, however what could I do about

the
router? I'd prefer not to fork out £100ish to replace it with a wireless
one. Is there some sort of device that'd connect to the router to provide
wireless access? Kind of like adding a hub to give me more ethernet

ports,
but instead of them being wired, have them wireless?

Hope that made sense.. it's 4am ;-)

I think u might be able to get a wireless access point that will solve your
problem.....althogh dont quote me on that cus i'm still trying to get my
head around what i'll need when my exchange is ADSL enabled!

See here anyway :- http://tinyurl.com/swxh

--
Cheers, Stu
ICQ #55605961

Old October 30th 03, 08:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trust No One®

Stu Duckworth wrote:
Hi all,

I think u might be able to get a wireless access point that will
solve your problem.....althogh dont quote me on that cus i'm still
trying to get my head around what i'll need when my exchange is ADSL
enabled!

Yup that about right. I already have an ADSL router, and I wanted to add
wireless capability to my home network without going through the expense of
replacing my existing router.

You can buy a wireless access point. This is somewhat cheaper (but not
hugely - 20 to 30 quid) than a full wireless
ADSL router, and in my my case (DLINK DWL-2000AP) has a single ethernet port
on the back which you connect to your existing ADSL router or switch. Your
wireless clients then connect to the access point and gain access to your
home network.

I'd suggest you buy a unit that has WEP security. WEP has some flaws but is
better than nothing, and will thwart "casual" snoopers.

--
Peter X-Files Fan
Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments

Old October 30th 03, 10:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Balloon

Trust No One® wrote:

Yup that about right. I already have an ADSL router, and I wanted to
add wireless capability to my home network without going through the
expense of replacing my existing router.

You can buy a wireless access point. This is somewhat cheaper (but not
hugely - 20 to 30 quid) than a full wireless
ADSL router, and in my my case (DLINK DWL-2000AP) has a single
ethernet port on the back which you connect to your existing ADSL
router or switch. Your wireless clients then connect to the access
point and gain access to your home network.

I'd suggest you buy a unit that has WEP security. WEP has some flaws
but is better than nothing, and will thwart "casual" snoopers.

Okay guys, I went ahead and did it.

My DG814 ADSL router now has a wireless access point connected to it, and my
laptop wirelessly via that and a PCMCIA WLAN card. (If anyone out there is
thinking about a similar set up, it's very easy to do.) The cost involved
for both pieces of kit was less than £100. (Of course, I had the ADSL
router already). I think I'd be ready to answer questions if anyone wanted
something similar but wanted something answering first... :-)

Couple of questions though.

1) How many devices can you attach wirelessly to one of these access
points.

2) I have 256 bit WEP encryption active. However, the previous poster said
that it had some flaws. What are these? What can I do to my connection to
tighten things up a touch?

Cheers.

Old October 31st 03, 11:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

"Mr Balloon" wrote in message ...

Okay guys, I went ahead and did it.

1) How many devices can you attach wirelessly to one of these access
points.

To the best of my knowledge it is 256 minus one or two.

This would obviously really slow down your speed as all Wireless data
across one access point is shared.

2) I have 256 bit WEP encryption active. However, the previous poster said
that it had some flaws. What are these? What can I do to my connection to
tighten things up a touch?

I must admit that, owing to a slight problem with one of my cards I
haven't bothered with WEP, it does slow down data slightly.

The MAC access is a useful and easy security feature.

One thing I have found with WiFi though is that it does NOT do what it
claims on the box.

Manufacturer ranges indoors are wildly optimistic and numerous normal
everyday things can have an effect on the range.

Geoff Lane
Old October 31st 03, 06:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Balloon

TX2 wrote:

I am in a similar situation, having a desire to go wireless with the
lappy when downstairs (leaving the wired stuff upstairs) but haven't
really figured out which kit to buy. I've got a Draytek 2600 ADSL
router/modem FWIW.

I'd already bought the Netgear DG814 ADSL router a while back. To this I
added a Trust Wireless Access Point (£80) and a Binatone WLAN card (On offer
for £20), both from Maplin. I'd bought something else from Maplin, and
they're doing a voucher offer at the minute that gets you £10 off anything
£100+, so I did okay I think.. (I was too lazy to check other online
retailers). Time spent setting it all up was less than an hour. I simply
plugged the WAP into my router and away I went. I changed my subnet mask
(from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 then back again) to change the default IP
of the WAP from 192.168.1.1. to an address beginning 192.168.0, but that was
it.

Performance has been good. I can stream video through to my laptop from any
room in the house and still get away with web browsing et al. For £100, I'm
well pleased with it. As another poster pointed out though, the
construction of your house may well affect performance.