Home Network Nightmare

Old October 26th 03, 10:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Milltear

Default Home Network Nightmare

Hi

Recently I`ve bought a DELL INSPIRON 5100 laptop, that I wanted to be
networked to a computer system that I built myself.

Problem is that on the Laptop the LAN led`s only stay on orange, whilst on
the base machine the LAN is both Green + Amber

The Base Machine is running WIN XP Pro, the Laptop WIN XP Home & SP1.

I`m using a crossover cable to link the 2 machines together & have tried
following many guides to try and get them to see each other without success,
even though they are on the same workgroup.

Details are as follows:-
LAPTOP
Base
LAN Device: BroadCom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
OS : Win XP Home
Win XP Pro

LAN Properties: Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks
same as Laptop

QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Am I missing something? It`s starting to get to the stage that I get a
headache thinking about it.

Any ideas, hints or tips would be welcomed.

Cheers

Old October 26th 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Donaldson

On 26/10/03, 10:41:18, "Milltear" wrote regarding
Home Network Nightma

[...]

You need Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) enabled on both machines if you want
to share internet access.
Have you run the network wizard on both machines yet?

What do you get when you issue the command "ipconfig -all" at the
"command prompt" on both machines.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old October 26th 03, 12:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
in2minds

"The Base Machine is running WIN XP Pro, the Laptop WIN XP Home & SP1."
[..]

if possible load XP Pro on both machines it will make life a whole lot simpler, I spent days fiddling with a XP Home / Pro network,
loaded Pro into the Home machine and was up and running in under an hour.

Les

Old October 26th 03, 02:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Milltear

Yeah, have run the Wizard on both computers, but still nothing.

Sometimes on the Laptop if will see the Main machine. However I can`t access
it. Even though users/passwords are the same on both machines.

TCP/IP is installed on both machines with IP address being assigned auto as
well as DNS.

I`m seriously thinking of even getting a 5 port hub to try and simplfy
matters (would that help?).

s.com...

Old October 26th 03, 03:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Donaldson

On 26/10/03, 14:11:49, "Milltear" wrote regarding
Home Network Nightma

[...]

Can you ping each machine from each other.
You could try (which is what I do) is assign ip address to each machine.
The main computer assign an IP address of :- 192.168.0.1 netmask
255.255.255.0 and the laptop to 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 and see
what happens. From the main computer try ping 192.168.0.2 and from the
laptop ping 192.168.0.1
BTW what did you get from ipconfig /all on both machines.
If you want to share internet access the computer with the modem must
be assigned 192.168.0.1 to facilatate ICS.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old October 26th 03, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Ian Donaldson wrote:

On 26/10/03, 14:11:49, "Milltear" wrote regardi=
ng=20
Home Network Nightma

Yeah, have run the Wizard on both computers, but still nothing.

Sometimes on the Laptop if will see the Main machine. However I can`t =

access
it. Even though users/passwords are the same on both machines.

TCP/IP is installed on both machines with IP address being assigned au=

to=20

.

[...]

The main computer assign an IP address of :- 192.168.0.1 netmask=20
255.255.255.0 and the laptop to 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 and se=
e=20
what happens. From the main computer try ping 192.168.0.2 and from the=20
laptop ping 192.168.0.1

Before that try pinging each machine from itself - both as 127.0.0.1 and
192.168.whatever to make sure its TCP/IP interface is working.

BTW what did you get from ipconfig /all on both machines.
If you want to share internet access the computer with the modem must =

be assigned 192.168.0.1 to facilatate ICS.

Static addresses can screw up ICS.
Old October 26th 03, 05:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mindwipe

"in2minds" wrote in message
"The Base Machine is running WIN XP Pro, the Laptop WIN XP Home & SP1."
[..]

if possible load XP Pro on both machines it will make life a whole lot

simpler, I spent days fiddling with a XP Home / Pro network,
loaded Pro into the Home machine and was up and running in under an hour.

Les
disable firewalls on both and retry

Old October 26th 03, 05:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Donaldson

On 26/10/03, 15:38:05, Rob Morley wrote regarding
Home Network Nightma

Ian Donaldson wrote:

[...]

I would still like to see the output of ipconfig /all on both his
machines to see his setup.

I've been using static IP addresses for the last year on my home network
with ICS(ADSL) and have had no problems. I've had to use static IP
addresses as My Home network consists of the following:-

Internet connected PC XP home 192.168.0.1
Sun Sparc 5 running Linux & Samba 192.168.0.10
Sun Ultra 1 running Linux & Samba 192.168.0.20
Sun Ultra 60 running Solaris & Samba 192.168.0.60
Laptop XP home 192.168.0.30

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old October 26th 03, 06:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Ian Donaldson wrote in
:

I've had to use static IP
addresses as My Home network consists of the following:-

Internet connected PC XP home 192.168.0.1
Sun Sparc 5 running Linux & Samba 192.168.0.10
Sun Ultra 1 running Linux & Samba 192.168.0.20
Sun Ultra 60 running Solaris & Samba 192.168.0.60
Laptop XP home 192.168.0.30

I don't follow your logic in that statement, unless you're saying
that Linux and Solaris don't work as DHCP clients? If the Internet-
connected system runs ICS, it should act as DHCP server for the
others set as DHCP clients, no problem.

However, if it ain't broke, I wouldn't go fixing it :-)

--
BRG
===