Error number: 0x800ccc0d

Old October 26th 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DG

Default Error number: 0x800ccc0d

I know there have been many posts about this error but I cannot find any
that solve my problem. Been looking for hours now and I am getting most
frustrated.

I am running Office Mail as a mail server on a Win98se PC. I use Outlook 98
to send/collect mail from a client PC (also running Win98se). I can send and
collect mail without any problem at all - until I have to reboot that client
PC (for whatever reason). I then get the following error:

The server could not be found. (Account 'account name', POP3 Server:
'Servername', Error number: 0x800ccc0d).

I can browse each PC without problem, and ping them as well. It is just the
mail error that arises.

The mail server still connects to my ISP to collect mail from the remote
server. If I reboot the mail server PC then I can retrieve and send mail
again without problem. I feel that I should not have to reboot it every time
I shutdown the client PC.

Some one suggested the Norton Anti Virus conflicts. Disabling email scanning
has made no difference. Changing port settings makes no difference. the
POP3/SMTP port settings are set up properly on the mail server and the
client PC.

Any ideas? Help much appreciated before I pull out what little hair I have
left.

DG.

Old October 26th 03, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

DG wrote:
I know there have been many posts about this error but I cannot find any
that solve my problem. Been looking for hours now and I am getting most
frustrated.

I am running Office Mail as a mail server on a Win98se PC. I use Outlook 98
to send/collect mail from a client PC (also running Win98se). I can send and
collect mail without any problem at all - until I have to reboot that client
PC (for whatever reason). I then get the following error:

The server could not be found. (Account 'account name', POP3 Server:
'Servername', Error number: 0x800ccc0d).

I can browse each PC without problem, and ping them as well. It is just the
mail error that arises.

Can the client ping the server by name?

You may be relying on NetBIOS name resolution for the client to find the
server. Try putting the server's address and name in \windows\hosts. See
the provided sample hosts.sam for the format.

Regards, Ian