Winroute lite - client not connecting

Old October 27th 03, 09:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TrueBlue

Default Winroute lite - client not connecting

I have installed Winroute lite 4.2.5 on a Windows XP machine and I am trying
to connect a Windows 2000 laptop as a client. It seems to be working because
its DHCP server has allocated an IP and gateway address to my Client machine
and I can ping each machine from the other with no problems.

The problem is that the client machine cannot access the internet (and does
not even show up in the 'Active Connections' window in Winroute). I have the
Network Settings in IE Options/Connection set to Automatically Detect
Settings - but it doesn't work. I have also tried static addressing too with
no luck.

Spent hours on this now, so I would be grateful for any ideas!

Old October 27th 03, 10:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

TrueBlue wrote:
I have installed Winroute lite 4.2.5 on a Windows XP machine and I am trying
to connect a Windows 2000 laptop as a client. It seems to be working because
its DHCP server has allocated an IP and gateway address to my Client machine
and I can ping each machine from the other with no problems.

The problem is that the client machine cannot access the internet (and does
not even show up in the 'Active Connections' window in Winroute). I have the
Network Settings in IE Options/Connection set to Automatically Detect
Settings - but it doesn't work. I have also tried static addressing too with
no luck.

Spent hours on this now, so I would be grateful for any ideas!

Have you removed the XP firewall on the WR server?
Have you removed the XP firewall on the WR client? (Use Kerio Personal
Firewall instead, if you want a firewall on the laptop.)
Have you set the client to use the WR server for DNS, and set the DNS
forwarder on the server appropriately?
Have you enabled NAT on the WAN interface of the WR server?
Have you disabled NAT on the LAN interface of the WR server?
Have you checked there are no packet-filter rules on the LAN interface of
the server?
Have you checked there are no time-based rules set in WR?
Old October 27th 03, 11:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will Light

I think I have cracked it! What I did was this:

In the Network Connections directory, I selected my external Internet
Connection Icon. and opened the Properties Screen.
Then I selected the Advanced tab.Then I checked the bottom option - Allow
other network users to conrol or disable the shared internet connection.
Immediately, the client machine found the shared connection and activated
it. Problem solved.
Previously I had not checked that box, thinking that I didn't want other
users disconnecting the internet conection from the host - but apparently it
is needed for any connection to be established between internet, host and
client.

Will Light

Old October 27th 03, 12:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TrueBlue

Tried this and it did not work for me!

I thought that I was supposed to turn XP's ICS off as Winroute replaced it?

Old October 27th 03, 12:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

"TrueBlue" wrote in message
[...]

You are, it does. And the XP firewall. I can probably walk you through
the setup if you want (my email address is valid).

Old October 27th 03, 01:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

TrueBlue wrote:
Thanks for this. I have tried all of these.

- I have Norton Internet Security on each machine but I have disabled both
firewalls when testing.
- The DNS server is set to forward queries automatically.
- NAT - not sure what you mean, but ICS is disabled on dial up and there is
no option on the network card. ICS is also disabled on the client (Win
2000).

In Winroute Admin Settings-Interface Table
Select your WAN interface (modem) properties and check the "Perform NAT
...." box. Make sure that it's _not_ checked for your LAN interface.

Old October 27th 03, 02:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TrueBlue

Thanks for your help so far!

I don't appear to have an 'interface table' - searching Google, it seems
that it is because I am using Winroute Lite. As far as I can tell, by
selecting the 'adapter used for network connection' as my ADSL modem, that
enables NAT and disables it on the Network card.

The only reason I am going through this pain is because Securemote (VPN
software) will not work with Microsofts ICS - could this be stopping me?

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...

Old October 27th 03, 02:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

TrueBlue wrote:
Thanks for your help so far!

I don't appear to have an 'interface table' - searching Google, it seems
that it is because I am using Winroute Lite. As far as I can tell, by
selecting the 'adapter used for network connection' as my ADSL modem, that
enables NAT and disables it on the Network card.

Okay, my mistake :-) I'll investigate and get back to you.

The only reason I am going through this pain is because Securemote (VPN
software) will not work with Microsofts ICS - could this be stopping me?

I very much doubt it.
Old October 27th 03, 04:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TrueBlue

Bizarrely it has just started working!

I left it for a while, then decided to uninstall winroute, reboot and then
install again. It seemed to make no difference, but then I ran outlook
express on the laptop and it worked!!. So then I ran Internet Explorer and
that worked too!

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...

Old October 27th 03, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

TrueBlue wrote:
Bizarrely it has just started working!

I left it for a while, then decided to uninstall winroute, reboot and then
install again. It seemed to make no difference, but then I ran outlook
express on the laptop and it worked!!. So then I ran Internet Explorer and
that worked too!

Could be related to the expiry of DHCP leases, if you're using DHCP.