Wireless network - Is a "nested" VPN possible?

Old October 27th 03, 05:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trust No OneŽ

Default Wireless network - Is a "nested" VPN possible?

Hi Folks,

My situation - I have a home network connected to the internet via an EN5861
Adsl router. My home network is further protected by an IPCop (stateful)
firewall which sits between the home network switch and the EN5861.

My laptop runs among other things the Cisco VPN client, which I use to
connect to the corporate network via VPN.

I've just treated myself to a wireless access point and have set all the
possible security options; I am somewhat concerned however about the
security of WEP, given that the keys (128 bit) can be cracked fairly easily
using Linux software freely available on the Net.

What I've done therefore is to build a dual-homed gateway machine with a 365
day eval copy of Windows 2003 server, which I've configured as a VPN server.
One NIC goes into my home network, and the other NIC is connected via a
cross over cable to the wireless access point. The NIC connected to the
access point is configured to only accept VPN connections.

So with this setup, I connect to the access point using the wireless NIC in
my laptop, establish a VPN session using the Microsoft vpn adapter (PPTP) to
the Windows 2003 server, which then allows me secured access to all the
resources on my home network including the internet. Sweet!

Everything works fine except the Cisco VPN client software I mentioned
early. The Cisco client connects to the remote gateway and hangs while
negotiating security protocols. The existing VPN connection from my laptop
to my Windows 2000 VPN gateway is then dropped

I suspect the problem is due to my attempting to nest VPNs. I'm a bit of a
newbie to VPN technology so I'm not sure if what I'm attempting (nesting
VPNs) is actually possible!

Can anyone advise?

--
Peter X-Files Fan
Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments