New to Networking Need Help!!!!

Old October 28th 03, 12:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Regular Guy

Default New to Networking Need Help!!!!

I am trying to network my two computers to share internet xconnection fiiles
printers etc. Both computers are running Windows XP. Today i purchased a
network card for my old computer as my new computer already has one, when i
connected the two with my ethernet cable and ran the network connection
wizard it created some kind of bridge?
When i try pinging my new computer it does so successfully but it says
someting about the media device not being enabled or something like that?
Can anyone help?
Is there a good begginers guide out there on the internet somewhere?
TIA

Old October 28th 03, 11:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:40:33 +0000 (UTC), "Regular Guy"
wrote:

I am trying to network my two computers to share internet xconnection fiiles
printers etc. Both computers are running Windows XP. Today i purchased a
network card for my old computer as my new computer already has one, when i
connected the two with my ethernet cable and ran the network connection
wizard it created some kind of bridge?
When i try pinging my new computer it does so successfully but it says
someting about the media device not being enabled or something like that?
Can anyone help?
Is there a good begginers guide out there on the internet somewhere?
TIA

If you go to Control Panel where it lists your network links and right
click on the ISP you use for connection there is an option to
'internet share'.

This may be your problem.

Geoff Lane

Old October 28th 03, 02:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AWM

"Regular Guy" wrote in message
I am trying to network my two computers to share internet xconnection

fiiles
printers etc. Both computers are running Windows XP. Today i purchased a
network card for my old computer as my new computer already has one, when

connected the two with my ethernet cable and ran the network connection
wizard it created some kind of bridge?
When i try pinging my new computer it does so successfully but it says
someting about the media device not being enabled or something like that?
Can anyone help?
Is there a good begginers guide out there on the internet somewhere?
TIA

Are you sure the ping was successful did it actually return a time for the
the pings ?
Did you use a crossover cable not an ordinary ethernet patch cable ?