Wireless bridge 802.11g or 802.11b?

Old October 28th 03, 12:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mal Franks

Default Wireless bridge 802.11g or 802.11b?

I currently have an 802.11b wireless access point and a laptop and ipaq
h5450 which both have 802.11b. I am looking at hooking up my newest PC to
it via a bridge (as the Shuttle SN41G2-based PC has only one PCI slot
which is already in use and I loathe USB network devices).

As I am planning to replace the 802.11b wap and the 802.11b network card
in the laptop with 802.11g devices early next year - I was wondering
whether I could purchase an 802.11g bridge for this PC and be able to
access the 802.11b WAP? Is the backwards compatibility between 802.11g
and 802.11b only for 802.11b devices connecting to 802.11g WAPs?

Thanks

--
Mal Franks
]
Old October 28th 03, 12:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 28 Oct
2003 12:25:01 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Mal Franks
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Hello stranger

I currently have an 802.11b wireless access point and a laptop and ipaq
h5450 which both have 802.11b. I am looking at hooking up my newest PC to
it via a bridge (as the Shuttle SN41G2-based PC has only one PCI slot
which is already in use and I loathe USB network devices).

I wonder if you could use a WiFi CF card in the card slot...

As I am planning to replace the 802.11b wap and the 802.11b network card
in the laptop with 802.11g devices early next year - I was wondering
whether I could purchase an 802.11g bridge for this PC and be able to
access the 802.11b WAP? Is the backwards compatibility between 802.11g
and 802.11b only for 802.11b devices connecting to 802.11g WAPs?

It depends on the bridge, but I would imagine most would work fine. I know
some have a "force 11b only" configuration too - mine at work certainly does
(a Netgear one, I forget the model number).

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old October 28th 03, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mal Franks

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:50:47 +0000 Thorin sat down and started singing
about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf said "Hurry up". After being
threatened with a cloven skull from one well placed blow, deKay said:

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 28 Oct
2003 12:25:01 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Mal Franks
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Hello stranger

Owdo

I currently have an 802.11b wireless access point and a laptop and ipaq
h5450 which both have 802.11b. I am looking at hooking up my newest PC to
it via a bridge (as the Shuttle SN41G2-based PC has only one PCI slot
which is already in use and I loathe USB network devices).

I wonder if you could use a WiFi CF card in the card slot...

What card slot? My Shuttle SN41G2 doesn't have one.

As I am planning to replace the 802.11b wap and the 802.11b network card
in the laptop with 802.11g devices early next year - I was wondering
whether I could purchase an 802.11g bridge for this PC and be able to
access the 802.11b WAP? Is the backwards compatibility between 802.11g
and 802.11b only for 802.11b devices connecting to 802.11g WAPs?

It depends on the bridge, but I would imagine most would work fine. I know
some have a "force 11b only" configuration too - mine at work certainly does
(a Netgear one, I forget the model number).

deKay

I'm looking at Netgear stuff - so I may end up with the same bridge as
you.

Ta

--
Mal Franks
Old October 28th 03, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 28 Oct
2003 14:51:06 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Mal Franks
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

I currently have an 802.11b wireless access point and a laptop and ipaq
h5450 which both have 802.11b. I am looking at hooking up my newest PC to
it via a bridge (as the Shuttle SN41G2-based PC has only one PCI slot
which is already in use and I loathe USB network devices).

I wonder if you could use a WiFi CF card in the card slot...

What card slot? My Shuttle SN41G2 doesn't have one.

Ah. I thought most Shuttles has card slots.

It depends on the bridge, but I would imagine most would work fine. I know
some have a "force 11b only" configuration too - mine at work certainly does
(a Netgear one, I forget the model number).

I'm looking at Netgear stuff - so I may end up with the same bridge as
you.

I'd look for the model number, but I'm not at work

deKay