peer to peer wireless

Old October 29th 03, 11:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mozzer

Default peer to peer wireless

Hi.

My friend has just got a laptop with 54 g wireless integrated in it.

Is it possible to use his main pc as the internet connection sharing host,
fitted with another 54g, or 11mbps, adapter, to act as the host of a
wireless network.

He doesnt want to spend money on a router, and I am just making sure that he
can have two adapters, rather than an access point. I am not completely sure
of the difference?

Is an access point more like a network hub? ie for more than one computer to
connect to it.

If I can just get another adapter in the main PC then internet connection
sharing should work, via the old usb connection to the STB, through to the
laptop via wireless?

It will cost him double for a 54g access point. And, he wants it on the
cheap.

Thanks.

Old October 29th 03, 12:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Yes you can use this kind of "ad-hoc" setup with only two WLAN cards. Bear
in mind that if you use an 11b adaptor in the other machine you will reduce
the connection down to 11mbps (although in practise you will never see this
speed anyway, but for internet sharing you will notice no degredation in the
speed).

An access point is basically a hub, yes.

Old October 29th 03, 12:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
in2minds

"Is it possible to use his main pc as the internet connection sharing host, fitted with another 54g, or 11mbps, adapter, to act as
the host of a wireless network."
[..]

yes, I am right now.

"Is an access point more like a network hub?"
[..]

effectively yes.

without an access point you need to set the network up in Ad-hoc mode.

Les

Old October 29th 03, 04:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor Turton

In article ,
says...
[...]

Doing peer to peer, typical range BUGGER ALL, especially indoors. Use a
router/access point etc and you get several hundred metres.

If he insists on doing it on the cheap he can get any of the 802.11b
stuff on E-bay for under 20 for the desktop and use Internet
Connection Sharing but he WILL be disappointed at the range. THere's
some WAPs opn E-bay going quite cheap too but only 11b.

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old October 30th 03, 10:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mozzer

So are you saying it will not work?

Will an access point have more range/power?

If so why, when all I thought an access point is, was a hub?

I can't find any 54g external access points for sale.

"Conor Turton" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Thanks a lot. Cheap and cheerful it is.

Until he goes up a floor or moves more than 40 ft away..

Old October 31st 03, 01:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Will an access point have more range/power?

If so why, when all I thought an access point is, was a hub?

I can't find any 54g external access points for sale.

It will work but only expect a range of upto perhaps 10m for an ad-hoc
setup. This is because the access points have a properly orientated aerial
which is more powerful than the little client transceiver.