Cheapest router for small network

Old October 29th 03, 06:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Default Cheapest router for small network

Currently have 2 pcs connected to Blueyonder (cable modem) using Coax
Ethernet and two NIC in the host computer.

Would like to update to run through a router. I guess that I will have to
replace the network cable (NIC are dual port).

What is the cheapest router that is avaliable for this application (1x Cable
Modem and 2x PC)

Old November 20th 03, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

Do you really mean co-ax ethernet - thin ethernet?

I didn't know cable-modems came with co-ax ethernet....

If you mean CAT5/RJ45 network cabling then there are a few cheapo
routers....

Check out the Kobian/Mercury KOB BR4P and the later BR100 model at
http://www.kobian.com/products.php?categoryid=1

IIRC I got mine in Silicon-Group, Edinburgh for GB£30
http://webplus.silicon-group.co.uk/a...ORKING_25.html
..... it took 10mins to set up and it works fine - in fact I can't fault it.
There are firmware upgrades available from Kobian.

My BY connection (via the router) serves 2 x PCs and a D-Link DWL-2000AP
Wireless Access point (laptop c.w. Buffalo 54g card)... the 4th router
output goes to the workroom for PC setup/repair and will soon have a local
4way 10/100 hub....

The seperate router/WAP setup is (far?) superior to a combined router+WAP -
much better signal and tidier cabling....

Router is fine for PtoP, Netmeeting, webcam etc... and also speeded up my
downloads a little bit (Strange one this - maybe to do with buffering/flow
control?).

Guy