wireless merry go round

Old October 30th 03, 10:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default wireless merry go round

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:25:23 -0000, doobrie
wrote:

i want to go wireless but the more i read about various reports or
forums on specific products the less i want to buy them but this seems
to be the case for most wireless products i find

so ... is anyone using dlink, linksys, netgear 54g kit together that
works well and generally does what they say they do and can recommend a
model for the router and notebook card? ... the router is connected to
bloueyonder cable modem so doesnt need adsl modem built in.

Main thing I have found is that it does ** NOT ** do what it says on
the box.

Indoor range claims by the manufacturers appear to be wildly
optimistic, when the range is queried mention is then made of large
metal objects, water tanks, microwave ovens, insulation in walls and
practically every other thing most normal people have in their homes.

On occasions I lose a signal in my brick built bungalow (1930s) just
two rooms away, that is one brick wall and one plaster wall.

It does appear to be better for some reason if you stay with the same
manufacturer, not sure why but my Netgear Access Point to Netgear
Laptop card gives better range than the Netgear Access Point to
Linksys USB adapter or my Dell badged (Orinoco I think) handheld.

I think as a compliment to a wired system it is OK but I would not use
it instead of a wired system.

Geoff Lane

Old November 6th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Mace

You might want to consider homeplug (networking over mains) products.
Very good imho.

www.solwise.co.uk
Old November 11th 03, 03:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:01:00 +0000, Steve Mace
wrote:

You might want to consider homeplug (networking over mains) products.
Very good imho.

Prohibitively expensive though.

Geoff Lane