Troubles with Lan connection WinXP/WinME

Old October 30th 03, 02:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
FABIO55

Default Troubles with Lan connection WinXP/WinME

I have a desktop with WinXP connected with a cross cable to a laptop with
WinME.

I have configurd the IP of the TCP/IP as it follows:
Desktop 192.168.0.1 - Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Laptop 192.168.0.2 - Subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
I do not have a shared Internet connection and I do not have firewall.
The two PC can see each other, I can also see the shared folders and the
ping it is OK.
Unfortunately it is almost impossible to transfer files: it starts to copy
but after a while the transfer it is interrupted and a warning says
"resource not more available" or other warnings of error.
Sometimes I am able to transfer small files, under 500kb but the speed is
very slow.

Someone can help me?

Thanks
Fabio

Old October 30th 03, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:07:39 +0000, FABIO55 wrote:

I have a desktop with WinXP connected with a cross cable to a laptop
with WinME.

I have configurd the IP of the TCP/IP as it follows: Desktop 192.168.0.1
- Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Laptop 192.168.0.2 - Subnet mask
255.255.255.0. I do not have a shared Internet connection and I do not
have firewall. The two PC can see each other, I can also see the shared
folders and the ping it is OK.
Unfortunately it is almost impossible to transfer files: it starts to
copy but after a while the transfer it is interrupted and a warning says
"resource not more available" or other warnings of error. Sometimes I am
able to transfer small files, under 500kb but the speed is very slow.

Someone can help me?

Thanks
Fabio

I have discovered myself that not all network cards will work properly
when joined back to back with a crossover cable. They can end up 'arguing'
with each other, continually re-negotiating the connection speed and
duplex/simplex operation. Hubs/switches are so cheap no more than 20 UK.
I would recomend getting hold of one, this should solve your problem.

graham

Old October 30th 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Graham wrote:
[...]

The driver usually lets you set the options manually - if in doubt set
10MB/s simplex and work up from there.