Sharing broadband access

Old October 31st 03, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Kostas

Default Sharing broadband access

Hello, we have just connected to telewest broadband internet and are
wondering how we can share it in the house. We have an ethernet switch
that we have been using to network between the computers and that
contains an UpLink port but we're not sure if that works. Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers
Old October 31st 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
^^artnada^^

Kostas wrote:
|| Hello, we have just connected to telewest broadband internet and are
|| wondering how we can share it in the house. We have an ethernet switch
|| that we have been using to network between the computers and that
|| contains an UpLink port but we're not sure if that works. Any
|| suggestions would be welcome.
|| Cheers

Get a router All will be well.

Old October 31st 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

A switch won't do the job but what you can do is:

a) Leave one of the machines on all the time & connect the modem to that,
and use that to share the internet to the others (many bits of software and
ways of doing this)

b) Buy a router and plug the modem into that.

Depends on what you want to do/how much you want to spend. A) is the
cheapest where B) is likely to set you back approx £40-£60

Good luck

om...

Old October 31st 03, 02:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Petri Krohn

"Kostas" kirjoitti viestissä
om...
Hello, we have just connected to telewest broadband internet and are
wondering how we can share it in the house. We have an ethernet switch
that we have been using to network between the computers and that
contains an UpLink port but we're not sure if that works. Any
suggestions would be welcome.

If all you want to do is use your Internet connection from all the computers
in your home LAN I would just call *using*, not "sharing".

If however, you want to share a common ADSL or SDSL line with your
neighbours or maybe your whole appartement block*, then you should call it
*sharing*

(* The simplest way to do this is with a HomePNA switch in the central
wiring closet. See: http://www.avaks.com/HSD10-2.html)

****

Previous writers have already discussed the details of doing NAT (Network
Address Translation) for sharing one *IP-address* by multiple computers in a
"private" network. This address translation or "IP masqurading" can be done
in two ways.

- By a router or "NAT firewall". (Many ADSL-modems have a router built in.)
- By one computer acting as the router. (MS Windows 98 SE or newer will
do.)

****

It may be possible to connect multiple computers to one ADSL-connection
without a router. Your ISP must provide you with more than one IP-address.
Also for this to work, the ADSL connection must work in the "bridged" mode,
not the "routed" mode*.

Many service providers are moving away from routed mode to bridged mode.
Also, some newer ADSL devices no longer support routed mode. In Britain,
where BT handles the ADSL/ATM traffic for most (all?) ISPs, I guess the
technology is the same for everybody.

(* For a technical description of what these are see: "RFC 1483 -
Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation Layer 5"
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1483.html )

--
Petri Krohn
petri. krohn [email protected] iki. FI(nland)

Old October 31st 03, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Petri Krohn

"Kostas" kirjoitti viestissä
om...

[W]e have just connected to telewest broadband internet and are
wondering how we can share it in the house.

Are using a ADSL adapter card in one of your computers or do you have an
externet ADSL modem?
Does the modem have a NAT router built in?

We have an ethernet switch that we have been using to network between the
computers and that contains an UpLink port but we're not sure if that

works.

The uplink port is no different from the other ports. The only difference is
that it has the RX an TX pairs interchanged (MDI-X instead of MDI). This way
you can connect it to another switch or router without using a crossover
cable.

Old October 31st 03, 08:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sunil Sood

"Petri Krohn" wrote in message
"Kostas" kirjoitti viestissä
om...

[W]e have just connected to telewest broadband internet and are
wondering how we can share it in the house.

Are using a ADSL adapter card in one of your computers or do you have an
externet ADSL modem?

fyi: Telewest mainly provides a cable modem service in the UK and uses the
MAC address to identify the customer - if you use a router make sure it
supports MAC spoofing.

Regards
Sunil

Old November 2nd 03, 04:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

Easiest and best way is to get a router.... I got a 4 port Broadband router
for GB£30.00 (Mercury/Kobian BR4P)....

This has been excellent, it took 10mins to setup and has good
support/firmware upgrades from
http://www.kobian.com/products.php?productid=190 .

Initaially I was a bit sceptical about a 'no-brand cheapie' but I am now
convinced - all in all a bargain!!
I added a D-Link DWL-2000AP and Buffalo 54g PCMCIA card (for the laptop)
later and the whole system works fine.

Save yourself some grief and avoid ICS - it can work great or it can drive
you nuts.... a router is so easy by comparison - also when a pal visits we
hook his crate up to a spare port and do upgrades, downloads and LAN
gaming...

Guy