playing music over network...

Old October 31st 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ashnewstead

Default playing music over network...

I have a quick query.. i have 2 computers networked, one in a study, the
other in the lounge. The one in the lounge is connected to my stereo. The
one in the study has my collection of mp3s on it.

I'd like to be able to play these mp3s on the stereo, through the computer
in the lounge, BUT controlled from the computer in the study. A little
gimmicky i know, but i'd like to know if it's possible!

Cheers in advance

Old October 31st 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 31 Oct
2003 22:47:09 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "ashnewstead"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

I have a quick query.. i have 2 computers networked, one in a study, the
other in the lounge. The one in the lounge is connected to my stereo. The
one in the study has my collection of mp3s on it.

I'd like to be able to play these mp3s on the stereo, through the computer
in the lounge, BUT controlled from the computer in the study. A little
gimmicky i know, but i'd like to know if it's possible!

Yep - use Remote Desktop or VNC.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old November 1st 03, 02:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mrlipring

"deKay" wrote in message
[...]

that's far too faffy. go download something called wwwinamp.

Old November 1st 03, 01:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TX2

In article , [email protected]
gaming.org.uk, a.k.a deKay says...

Yep - use Remote Desktop or VNC.

eh?

What on earth for ?!?!?!

Just download an MP3 player such as Winamp (www.winamp.com) and open the
file on the computer in the study via the network.
Old November 1st 03, 04:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 1 Nov
2003 13:34:23 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk TX2
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

In article , [email protected]
gaming.org.uk, a.k.a deKay says...

Yep - use Remote Desktop or VNC.

eh?

What on earth for ?!?!?!

"I'd like to be able to play these mp3s on the stereo, through the computer
in the lounge, BUT controlled from the computer in the study."

Just download an MP3 player such as Winamp (www.winamp.com) and open the
file on the computer in the study via the network.

Which isn't what the OP wanted to do.

deKay
Old November 1st 03, 05:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TX2

In article , [email protected]
gaming.org.uk, a.k.a deKay says...

[...]

Which isn't what the OP wanted to do.

Yep, i didn't read it correctly ...

Maybe the OP can post why he needs to do it this way?
It's a strange one 'tis that.
Old November 1st 03, 06:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Captain Qwerty

"TX2" wrote in message
In article , [email protected]
gaming.org.uk, a.k.a deKay says...

[...]

Which isn't what the OP wanted to do.

Yep, i didn't read it correctly ...

Maybe the OP can post why he needs to do it this way?
It's a strange one 'tis that.

Hi,

I don't 'need' to do it this way - i just want to know if it can be done! It
probably comes down to me being lazy, basically i want to control what i
hear from my stereo without having to walk in to the next room and deal with
it. I figured that i can plug my all-but-redundant laptop into the stereo
and use it to play mp3s etc through... That way i can change what i'm
listening to without interupting my work... The laptop's running WinMe and
desktop Xp if thats any help.

Cheers
Ash

Old November 1st 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mrlipring

"Captain Qwerty" ashnewstead at yahoo dot co dot uk wrote in message

"TX2" wrote in message
In article , [email protected]
gaming.org.uk, a.k.a deKay says...

[...]

Which isn't what the OP wanted to do.

Yep, i didn't read it correctly ...

Maybe the OP can post why he needs to do it this way?
It's a strange one 'tis that.

Hi,

I don't 'need' to do it this way - i just want to know if it can be done!

It
probably comes down to me being lazy, basically i want to control what i
hear from my stereo without having to walk in to the next room and deal

with
it. I figured that i can plug my all-but-redundant laptop into the stereo
and use it to play mp3s etc through... That way i can change what i'm
listening to without interupting my work... The laptop's running WinMe and
desktop Xp if thats any help.

Cheers
Ash

dear me... i'll assume my post isn't showing up on your news server. fingers
crossed with this one, eh? wwwinamp. that's what you want.

Old November 1st 03, 09:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Could do some Winamp / Shoutcast streaming setup if I'm reading it right,
but that's quite a complicated solution.

Captain Qwerty wrote:
"TX2" wrote in message
In article , [email protected]
gaming.org.uk, a.k.a deKay says...

[...]

Old November 1st 03, 11:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mrlipring

"George Hewitt" wrote in message
Could do some Winamp / Shoutcast streaming setup if I'm reading it right,
but that's quite a complicated solution.

Captain Qwerty wrote:
"TX2" wrote in message
In article , [email protected]
gaming.org.uk, a.k.a deKay says...

[...]

Which isn't what the OP wanted to do.

Yep, i didn't read it correctly ...

Maybe the OP can post why he needs to do it this way?
It's a strange one 'tis that.

Hi,

I don't 'need' to do it this way - i just want to know if it can be
done! It probably comes down to me being lazy, basically i want to
control what i hear from my stereo without having to walk in to the
next room and deal with it. I figured that i can plug my
all-but-redundant laptop into the stereo and use it to play mp3s etc
through... That way i can change what i'm listening to without
interupting my work... The laptop's running WinMe and desktop Xp if
thats any help.

Cheers
Ash

ffs...

http://www.nullsoft.com/free/wwwinamp/

WWWinamp is a simple web server-like application that allows remote control
of Winamp via any web browser. WWWinamp manages a database of files and/or
URLs that can be queued into a running Winamp.

WWWinamp supports most standard web browsers, and includes a special mode
(that conserves bandwidth and screen space) for Windows CE devices.

WWWinamp supports two optional levels of password protection. The first
level lets you control who can search the database and queue files, and the
second lets you control who can do things like remove files from the queue,
pause playback, and so on.