AWR-8210 - opinions?

Old November 1st 03, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul Hutchings

Default AWR-8210 - opinions?

I'm thinking of getting one of these, I currently have two PCs with
wireless NICs (Belkin 54g ones) and it'd be nice to do away with the hassle
of having to have one switched on all the time blah..

I've done a little digging and I know about checking the firmware and if
needsbe updating if from www.adsltech.com, but I wondered if anyone here
had one and had any thoughts?

Not that it should matter but I'm currently with Nildram, probably
migrating to Arnold & Andrews reasonably soon.

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old November 2nd 03, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
PhilM

Hi Paul
Just to point out that the 8210 is only the b variant - you've got the G
cards but it will only transfer files at the slower 11mb/s standard of the
router and in practice you'll more likely get throughput of around 4mb/s -
plenty enough for 512kb/s ADSL, but you'll notice it slow compared to what
you were getting with the 2 54g cards talking to each other!

Paul Hutchings wrote in
. 1.4:

Old November 2nd 03, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul Hutchings

PhilM wrote in
:

Just to point out that the 8210 is only the b variant - you've got the
G cards but it will only transfer files at the slower 11mb/s standard
of the router and in practice you'll more likely get throughput of
around 4mb/s - plenty enough for 512kb/s ADSL, but you'll notice it
slow compared to what you were getting with the 2 54g cards talking to
each other!

Thanks, I was already aware - really the only reason the 2 PCs are linked
is to share the internet connection and the odd bit of printing.

I've not downloaded the manual yes, but do you happen to know if the router
can be setup in ad-hoc mode so I can still talk peer-peer between the two
PCs?

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net